Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Kramer

undocumented Powershell options

Post by PKramer »

In a post by vitaly earlier I found this

Code: Select all

Start-VBRJob JobName -RetryBackup 
The docs do not mention this option of -retryBackup anyhwere that I can find.

Are there more options like this ?? How can we find out about all of them??

Is there a similar switch option to perform a full backup??

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: undocumented Powershell options

Post by Gostev »

Hi Paul, we will try to find out for you if there is a full backup option. The reason they are not documented is because some advanced options were not given enough QC attention back when v4 was releasing due to lack of time, and we made a decision not to document those.
PKramer
Novice

Post by PKramer »

Gostev wrote:Hi Paul, we will try to find out for you if there is a full backup option. The reason they are not documented is because some advanced options were not given enough QC attention back when v4 was releasing due to lack of time, and we made a decision not to document those.
Hi Gostev, any info on whether that switch exists or not to run a fullbackup?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hello Paul, yes this cmdlet also has –FullBackup option, which is what you are looking for.
PKramer
Novice

Post by PKramer »

that is great, you should really start advertising that option as I think alot of people would liek to use that feature.

Now I can write a powershell script that checks to see if it is a particular day of the month and if so it will launch the backups with the full option.

also, can I make a recommendation that Veeam make some sort of area (forum category or knowlegebase section) that would let people upload scripts as a script repository. I think with as powerful as PowerShell is your users could offer some very nice scripts.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Good idea on script repository... let me think on how best to organize it.
By the way, we will have monthly full backup schedule available directly in the product with v5. ;)
PKramer
Novice

Post by PKramer »

Gostev, that is great news about the scheduler, just make sure it supports a schedule option like " last friday of month" not just last day of month.

Also an option to have a powershell parameter that will save a full to a different path (for off-siting or tape dumping purposes) would be great.

What I mean would be a powershell script is used to lauch backup jobs. In the script you check to see if it is say the "last friday of the month" if so we append -FullBackup and -xxxyyyzzz where -xxxyyyzzz woudl be parameter and path of where to create a copy of the full vbk file.

I know I can just robocopy the vbk's after the job ends or whatever as well, but I can see how this may be used by certain backup scenarios.

Actually after typing all that out I realize another (maybe a better) option would be just to offer a parameter to launch a post-script of our choosing, rather than one embedded in the job.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

PKramer wrote:Gostev, that is great news about the scheduler, just make sure it supports a schedule option like " last friday of month" not just last day of month.
Yes, such schedule is supported with v5.
PKramer wrote:Actually after typing all that out I realize another (maybe a better) option would be just to offer a parameter to launch a post-script of our choosing, rather than one embedded in the job.
Typically customers use logic within the script to determine what to do. For example, lookup the current day of week and depending on it do one thing or another. This way, you only need one script to embed in the job.