Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
martin_nz
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Martin

Problems recovering email using Veeam Explorer for Exchange

Post by martin_nz »

Hello,

I am relatively new to Veeam and I am working on Exchange backups at the moment.

When I try to restore an email directly to the production mailbox using the Explorer for MS Exchange I am getting the following in my restore summary

0 items successfully created
0 items merged
0 items failed

I have full access to the target mailbox.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Do I need to assign specific permissions to my admin user?

I can restore email fine via SMTP
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Problems recovering email using Veeam Explorer for Excha

Post by foggy »

Martin, any chance you're restoring the e-mail that was not changed since the backup? In this case the behavior is expected. Could you try to remove some unneded e-mail from production mailbox and restore it?
martin_nz
Enthusiast

Post by martin_nz »

I deleted some email completely out of my mailbox and then from the deleted items and then tried to restore the same email from the backup and it didn't restore.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please contact technical support for a closer look at your setup. Thanks.
martin_nz
Enthusiast

Post by martin_nz »

I contacted technical support and they informed me that i need to use the authentication details of the target mailbox when recovering email. I believe you can apply impersonation settings to your admin user in order to get around this. Has anyone done this?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Provided that you have full access to the target mailbox, restore should be performed fine, no impersonation is required. Please check permissions and continue investigating with technical support.
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

[MERGED] Question about Exchange 2010 item restore ...

Post by Didi7 »

... in Veeam B&R v8.0.0.917 running on Windows Server 2012R2.

Let me try to explain, what I mean...

We have Veeam B&R v8.0.0.917 running on a Windows Server 2012R2 physical machine with lots of disk space available. This server is part of our company Windows domain. Let's call the Windows domain 'COMPANY'. One of our customers has some virtual machines on our Company VMware farm, so we decided to make a backup of those virtual machines with the upper mentioned backup Server being part of the Domain 'COMPANY'.

The virtual machines from our customer are part of another Windows Domain. Let's call this Windows Domain 'CUSTOMER'.

We have one backup Job for each Microsoft Exchange 2010 System. One Exchange 2010 System is part of the Domain 'COMPANY', the other Exchange 2010 System is part of the Domain 'CUSTOMER'. We use a Special account in each Domain, which has sufficient rights to backup all Exchange 2010 data and which is configured in the backup Job for each Exchange 2010 System.

Both Domain users, which are used in the backup Job to backup the Exchange 2010 data are impersonated in the corresponding Exchange 2010 System and Domain.

The backup runs smoothly without any error.

Now, if I wish to restore an Exchange item from a disk Job via the Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange to the COMPANY Domain Exchange 2010 Server, I can select, whatever I want. I can save the item as a message file, I can Export items to a PST-file, I can restore it to the original Location.

If I wish to restore an Exchange item from a disk Job via the Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange to the CUSTOMER Domain Exchange 2010 Server, I can select to save the item to a message file and I can Export items to a PST-file, but I am unable to restore items to the original Location.

Remember, the Veeam B&R Server is part of the COMPANY Windows Domain and not part of the CUSTOMER Windows Domain. I have 2 disk Jobs. In the first disk Job, a user from the COMPANY Domain is configured to be able to backup Exchange 2010 data from the COMPANY Domain Exchange 2010 Server. In the second Job, a user with full rights and impersonation on the CUSTOMER Domain Exchange 2010 Server is configured.

What I notice during the Exchange item restore, is the fact, that restoring items to the CUSTOMER Domain Exchange 2010 Server requires me to Change the account Name in the Windows box 'Restore Wizard' and 'Specify target Mailbox and Domain account to be used'. I enter the corresponding mail-address for the mailbox, I wish to restore items to. So far so good. Now the right CAS-Server from the CUSTOMER Domain Needs to be selected manually and restore to the original Location is selected automatically. The box 'Specify the restore options' has Defaults selected. I press the button 'restore' and as result I get ...

Restore summary:
0 items merged
0 items created

The restore is impossible. I have no idea, what's missing to be able to restore Exchange items to an Exchange 2010 System of a different Domain, when the backup Server is part of another Domain.

Has anyone a similar configuration and can Point me in the right direction or do I Need to always Export items to a PST-file, because I cannot restore Exchange items to a Domain, which is not part of the Domain from the backup Server itself.

Thanks and best regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Provided you have enough permissions on target and you have something to restore (i.e. you're not restoring unchanged items), everything should work fine. So I recommend contacting support to take a look at your log files.
suave
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by suave »

Did you receive an answer from Veeam support for this issue. I receive the same message when I attempted an item level restore to a users mailbox. I'm running Backup & Replication version 8.0.0.2021, Single Exchange 2013 instance - CU9, on Windows Server 2012 R2, VMware Hypervisor.
"Restore summary:
0 items merged
0 items created"
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

No one has provided a support ticket number in this thread. So, we can follow the cases and find the provided resolution.

Thus, it's better to open your own ticket.

Thanks.
7th God
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Victor Nunez

Post by 7th God »

I had the same issue when attempting to perform a granular restoration of email message that I intentionally purged from my inbox for testing.
I encountered the same issue you had but was quickly able to resolve it.
My problem was that I didn't have all of my Exchange services running.
Please confirm all of the required exchange services are running and you should be able to successfully restore (e.g. IMAP, System attendant, etc.)