Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
stepkinetic
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ryan Phillips

restoring a file from vbk on tape

Post by stepkinetic »

I had a question regarding a file level restore from a vbk that was backed up to tape.

I was able to successfully restore the vbk to our backup copy job folder, however when I go to our main veeam server to do a file level restore (windows) the restore point is not seen. What is the correct method for Veeam to recognize that vbk as a restore point? And also removing it thereafter?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: restoring a file from vbk on tape

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Rescan repository, the said backup should be shown under "Imported" node, right-click on it and perform restore. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Ryan, did you restore the backup using another Veeam B&R instance? In this case your main instance doesn't know about it, until you rescan the repository.
stepkinetic
Influencer

Post by stepkinetic » 1 person likes this post

You rock, thank you for the quick reply :)
stepkinetic
Influencer

Post by stepkinetic »

Ok, after performing the rescan, 0 backups added, 0 updated, 0 removed, and 16 skipped. Let me give a little more info on my setup.

I have backup copy jobs being sent to a proxy with an attached repository, that is used for long term retention. I then backup monthly to tape. So my tape restore was to "original location" which is a remote repository from the main veeam server. When I am on our main server, and perform a rescan on the remote repository, it does not show up as an added backup and there is no backup showing under "import". any ideas?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Import the backup file explicitly (by clicking Import and browsing to the vbk). For rescan procedure, vbm file is also required, which is not available in case of restore from tape. Sorry for confusion.
stepkinetic
Influencer

Post by stepkinetic » 1 person likes this post

This worked beautifully and I gained some knowledge. Thank you so much, love the veeam forums community :-)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Additionally, should need be, the backup files can be imported in automatic fashion via Import-VBRBackup commandlet. Thanks.