Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jluce
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: John Luce

SQL Server Backup

Post by jluce »

I'm looking for confirmation on the following scenario that concerns SQL server using Veeam B&R 8.

My boss wants Veeam to run hourly backing up the SQL server, but once a week he would like a full backup to be done via a maintenance plan for the developers who can refresh the data on the test SQL servers. How would be best meet the plan outlined above?

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: SQL Server Backup

Post by Shestakov »

Hello John,
You can make a backup job to run hourly(assuming job duration will not exceed an hour) using forward incremental method and full backup at weekends. You can also use backup window to run the job only during operation hours it will significantly decrease an overall size of backup jobs.
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you want to do VM image or transaction logs backup of your SQL Server? Please review this link regarding option 2 > Transaction Log Settings: Microsoft SQL
jluce
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: John Luce

Post by jluce »

They were looking to try to stay with VM image with the exception of just this one weekly backup performed on each of the databases so they can transmit that backup to the developers side of the house.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

It`s possible to stay with images, but that means snapshot will be created hourly. If your database can handle it, just schedule a backup job to run hourly, as I suggested above.
However, if you need to backup SQL Server transaction logs, Veeam B&R will just copy the log backup files backed up by native SQL Server log backup process. Please review the hyperlink.
Thanks.