Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Khue
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Unable to Perform Restore - "Failed to enumerate backup OIB"

Post by Khue »

So about a month ago, we were forced to rebuild our primary Veeam server due to a Windows specific issue. All our repositories lie on Data Domains, and our Veeam program folders existed on auxiliary drives (non C: drives). We did our due diligence and backed up the necessary folders and rebuilt the Windows server. We reinstalled overtop of the existing Veeam folders and did the restore of the configuration data. In the end, it appeared like Veeam was 100% back up and running as originally designed.

After the system had come back up and online, the first backup took place, and while the backup went successfully, for some reason, a few of the jobs (3 out of 4 total jobs) decided to overwrite the VBM data and the VBM file was blanked and a full backup was done. This introduced some pain points obviously and we attempted to contact Veeam and get the data back into the VBMs (case 00849617). Unfortunately they were unable to assist and for now, if I want to do a restore of any historical data from the time before the server rebuild, I have to import the related .BAK file from the date/timeframe I want to restore. Not a huge deal, just an inconvenience as most of our backups are quite large and take 5-15 minutes to import.

Fast forward to today, I have to perform a restore. We backup a remote office's primary file store to the remote office's local Data Domain device. The backup job itself is controlled from the central Veeam server in the data center. The backup job directs the information to be backed up to the remote office's local repository (the Data Domain) from the remote site's Veeam proxy. Typically when the remote office requests a restore, we simply import the .VBM file to the local Veeam proxy and initiate the restore from there. This prevents us from having to pull the data over the WAN for restores. I went to initiate the restore per usual yesterday and the import went fine, but when initiating the restore file from guest wizard, on the choose virtual machine screen, I received the following error:
Failed to enumerate backup OIBs. Backup: "veeambackupname_imported". Object '<actualguidwithheld>' was not found"
I have a current open case with Veeam (00875663) to try and deal with this, but I was wondering if anyone on the forums has seen this before. I searched the forums and there was a similar error message, but it seemed to have to do with backups and not restores.
Khue
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Re: Unable to Perform Restore - "Failed to enumerate backup

Post by Khue » 2 people like this post

Hey all,

I just wanted to give some feedback on this and explain the solution. So basically the issue is that the current "Imported Backup" didn't match the existing backup chain. If you recall from the post above, my chains were all fubared due to some unforeseen circumstance. This by no means implies that Veeam failed in some way. There's a number of explanations for why the VBMs went bunk, it's just not possible to identify them right now. This also doesn't imply that all my backups are lost. As long as the BAK files are still in place, I can properly restore my environment without a problem. It's just a bit less convenient than if the VBMs were still in place with all historical data. Furthermore, the VBM chain is fine moving forward from the date of the incident.

The solution to the situation was to go ahead and remove the backup from the imported jobs section of Veeam. That is to say, remove the imported job, not the actual backup files themselves:

Once i had removed the job, I simply imported the appropriate BAK file again and I was able to successfully restore the content.