Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
YDOL
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stan Zieg

Backup Identification

Post by YDOL »

First, kudos to Veeam for making this product available to the public as a free offering. Much appreciated.
I will almost certainly be adopting this product within my home/office environment. I'd like to understand a particular aspect a little better, if possible, and I hope this is the proper forum to use for my request. Apologies if not....

I plan to use a Synology NAS as the backup location for several Windows based PCs within my home/office. The bare metal and volume recovery options are absolutely fantastic features of your product. I have a fair amount of paranoia, however, and would like to store 'occasional' full images to a separate location that will enable me to recover from a true disaster - a fire for example - that destroys the NAS. I would be more than willing to lose a few days of updates for having the ability to restore my destroyed systems to that last full image.

1. Is such a feature available through the product? (Not that I'm expecting it, just asking)
2. Can appropriate files for each Endpoint Platform be identified? If I could identify the appropriate files, I would put together a separate process to copy a full image backup (say weekly) to an offsite location.
3. Finally, if I had such a file, would I be able to accomplish a bare metal restore to recover from such a true disaster?

Thank you very much!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Backup Identification

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to community forums Stan,
Thank you for the kind works, I am glad to hear you like Veeam Endpoint Backup!
1. Is such a feature available through the product? (Not that I'm expecting it, just asking)
Yes we have an option to create a standalone full backup. It’s not involved in retention mechanism, so once needed you can right click the tray icon > backup > standalone full backup. It is created according to the settings you specified in the Configure Backup wizard and placed in the same backup location.
2. Can appropriate files for each Endpoint Platform be identified? If I could identify the appropriate files, I would put together a separate process to copy a full image backup (say weekly) to an offsite location.
Yes, each backup has its own ID which is generated based on the hardware, that helps to identify backup on restore, but would not prevent you from manually specifying another backup file if needed.
3. Finally, if I had such a file, would I be able to accomplish a bare metal restore to recover from such a true disaster?
Sure you can. Just do not forget to create Veeam Recovery Media :wink:

The last but not the least, check out our cool Veeam Endpoint Online Help Center – for more details.
YDOL
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stan Zieg

Post by YDOL »

Fantastic! Thanks for the quick response. One clarification: Are the standalone backups only created manually or can they be scheduled?

Thanks again.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Stan,
Only manual start is supported.