Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
slidek9
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Leon

Some evaluation questions on Replication

Post by slidek9 »

Hello :)

We are looking to use Veeam for backup and replication (to DR site). The interface was a little different to what I imagined though and it's causing a little stress. I imagined that the backed up data would be replicated post processing. Essentially I wanted a full repositry of backups here on the main site, and the ability to extract backups at the DR site when necessary.

We only have a small pipe (30Mb/s) to the DR site and many TB's of data.

I have kicked off a full backup using CBT and I can now see the backups on my local server, great! Now I want to replicate it! So I made a replication job, and instead of asking which backups do I want to replicate, it offers me the VC and guests. So my 1st question is, where does the replication pull the data from, is it from the live servers or Veeams backup repository ?

My 2nd question is if it is replicating from the live servers and it is running as a separate job from the backup, will this messup the CBT as we have two jobs both with independent backups going (one a straight backup, one is a replication) both which use CBT independently....?

My final question (I'm sure its been asked before - I have looked!)

Is it recommended to "backup" the backup server to the DR site? I mean if CBT is used and the filesystem of the 1st backup file system is de-duping (I read in a state of flux every backup when it optimises itself) does this mean that even small updates to the 1st server will cause a lot of changes in the "backup" of the backup server? I am trying to minimise any bandwidth usage :-)

The way I am understanding it at the moment is that Veeam is very good at backup and it is very good at replication but it falls down when trying to replicate the backups?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Some evaluation questions on Replication

Post by Gostev »

Hello!

1. Replication takes data from live servers.
2. It will be fine (covered in FAQ thread).
3. Not sure I understand what you are saying in the last question.

Also the replicate the backups comment is unclear, please clarify.
slidek9
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Leon

Post by slidek9 »

Hey Thanks loads for the fast reply (I'll read the FAQ!)

The 3rd question was to do with bandwidth efficiency and backing up the Veeam backup machine to site B.

Site A
---------------
Veeam backup machine (backing up site A Servers)
100 odd vmware servers

Site B
---------------
Veeam Backup (backing up both Site A Veeam and site B's File server Server)
1 File server

Is it best pratice to backup a Veeam machine with another Veeam machine across sites?

:)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, many customers are doing exactly this, but you need ESX4 in site A for efficient bandwidth usage in such scenario.