Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
PNWMtnBiker
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Jon Dufour

SQL Logs Truncation

Post by PNWMtnBiker »

Is there a clear way to verify in logs that SQL log truncation is happening successfully?

I have found a few of our SQL servers are not getting the logs truncated, one appears to be the SQL 2012 issue resolved by the KB1746 ( I still need to test this ) as I am seeing that related error in the guest log.

I'm on Version 8 with Patch 1.

edit* Side question, looking at the statistics for a job run it appears like log truncation happened successfully but the guest log file leads me to believe otherwise so I'm feeling a little confused, should there be a more obvious warning message?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: SQL Logs Truncation

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you have any error messages in the Windows Event log regarding SQL Server logs truncation? I believe there should be also information about this in the job debug log.
PNWMtnBiker
Enthusiast

Post by PNWMtnBiker »

I'll check those, thanks Vitaly.

Additionally while digging into this I tossed together a PowerShell script to check the content of the VeeamGuestHelper log for each SQL server we have and search for matches on "Cannot truncate SQL logs for instance" and found no less than 8 servers where my backup service account did not have any access to SQL whatsoever. So, I'm going to have a chat with our DBA as it was explicitly requested to grant that access months ago.

I suppose the only thing that would have been helpful if Veeam had thrown a more visible warning, I might have found this sooner. Feature request... ;)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

How is your job configured in application-aware image processing tab? Does it require the success status?
PNWMtnBiker
Enthusiast

Post by PNWMtnBiker »

Yes, it's set for Require successful processing and Process transaction logs with this job.
The SQL tab is set for Truncate logs (prevents logs from growing forever).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Got it! Looks like a bug to me, since logs truncation never happened, but the backup job returned the success state. Can you open a support ticket with our technical team, so that our dev team could take a look at the logs?
PNWMtnBiker
Enthusiast

Post by PNWMtnBiker »

Entering a support ticket on it today, thanks!
kevinnaughton
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kevin Naughton

Post by kevinnaughton »

Anything ever come of your support ticket? I have the same issue. We upgraded a server to SQL2012 and just discovered that the logs have not been getting truncated ever since even though Veeam job reports Logs truncated successfully in the B&R app but shows that it failed in the detailed logs on the Guest. Found KB1746, but this could have been very bad on a more active server if the log drive filled up. Fortunately we separate monitor our log sizes, otherwise there would have been no indication of this problem.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can't check that since OP didn't post his case ID, so if you experience the same problem please contact our technical team and let us know your support case number.