Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Alan ORiordan

Replication window exclusion - best practice

Post by Alan_ORiordan »

Hi

I have found that if we let our continuous replication jobs run throughout the nightly incremental backup window they can sometimes fail with an error. To prevent this I excluded replication for a couple of hours each night when the backup took place. The only slight nuisance is we get a failure email alert when it stops the replication job:

Processing VMNAME Error: Job was stopped due to backup window setting

Is there a way to exclude this email alert. Or do we just have to accept that this is better than a failing job during the odd backup session running at the same time.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication window exclusion - best practice

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Alan,

There is no way to exclude this type of email, however can you please tell me what error message you have when your backup and replication jobs overlap? Do you manage both types of job through the same backup console?

Thanks!
Alan_ORiordan
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Alan ORiordan

Post by Alan_ORiordan »

I believe it is something similar to this:

13/04/2015 21:00:48 :: Processing VMNAME Error: Failed to delete VSS snapshot. It's in use by job 'BACKUPJOB NAME - Windows VM - Daily' ('a5a40600-5289-42aa-8dd8-7175aa89e4b0')

We manage the backup jobs by the physical backup server at the Source site and the replication jobs by the DR site's physical Veeam server so that in a DR event we can control the failover.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ah...ok. If you have two backup servers, then the only way to handle this situation is to use either VSS-less backup (without AAIP) or leverage backup window capabilities. If you had only 1 backup server running both type of jobs, all potential overlaps would have been managed by internal backup logic. VM processing tasks would be put in a queue, and then resume.