Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

[RELEASE] Current version is 1.0.0.1954 (April 14, 2015)

Post by Gostev » 3 people like this post

Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE
Released on: April 14th, 2015
RTM version: 1.0.0.1954

System Requirements, Known Issues, Installation and Upgrade > Release Notes
All user guides, manuals and other documentation in multiple formats > Veeam Help Center

Click F1 in any product window to be taken to the corresponding page of the Online Help.
poussah
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Renaud Boitouzet

Re: [RELEASE] Current version is 1.0.0.1954 (Apr 14, 2015)

Post by poussah »

Great news!!

Is there any complication upgrading from RC?
Has the patch 2 for B&R been upgraded to be installable on all servers, including production ones?
Is there a list of changes since RC, apart from bug fixes?

Thanks! :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Renaud, upgrading from previous (BETA, RC) versions is not supported, it should be a clean installation.
Gostev wrote:• Because of significant changes in both configuration and backup formats, we cannot provide backward compatibility for backups, or an in-place upgrade from BETA code. Please, remove Veeam Endpoint Backup BETA using Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs first before installing this RC build.

• For the same reasons, we may not be able to provide the upgrade to RTM build, and/or ability to restore from RC backups in RTM build. So please, do not assume that such compatibility will be available.
As regards Veeam B&R update 2, then it is targeted to be released later this month.

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Is there a list of changes since RC, apart from bug fixes?
No new features since RC. To check the complete list of available functionality, please, refer to the User Guide or Help Center
poussah
Influencer
Full Name: Renaud Boitouzet

Post by poussah »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Renaud, upgrading from previous (BETA, RC) versions is not supported, it should be a clean installation. As regards Veeam B&R update 2, then it is targeted to be released later this month. Thanks!
Too bad for the upgrade. We'll be waiting for the update, then.
Thx.
jgreenberg
Novice

Post by jgreenberg »

For those of us upgrading from the RC - I assume we should uninstall and re-install the RTM version? Also, will that mean I need to recreate my full backup job and the recovery ISO?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, this is a recommended approach.
pax
Novice

Post by pax »

I've been waiting months for this....but it seems the client is released but Update 2 for B&R v8 is not available? disappointing.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Pax,

Update 2 will be released later this month. Because it combines not only the integration from VEB and VBR, but also will be ready for vSphere 6 support it needs a little longer to test and verify.

But don't worry, it will be here soon :-)

Mike
willrun4fun
Influencer
Full Name: Andy Rhine

Post by willrun4fun »

So this is available but I can't use it yet until B&R is updated? Convenient.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Andy,

The product itself can be used already if you don't want to use B&R repository as a target. If you do want to do that, then you will have to have a bit more patience... Stay tuned

Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

willrun4fun wrote:So this is available but I can't use it yet until B&R is updated?
Veeam backup repository is just one of many backup targets we support, so you can certainly start using Veeam Endpoint Backup immediately.
sewi
Lurker
Liked: 4 times

Post by sewi » 4 people like this post

Congratulations on the release.

I have done a bare metal restore with the RC just yesterday, and it worked without any problems whatsoever.
Since the RC and the Release were not compatible, I held off with larger scale deployments on our endpoints. With the release yesterday, I can finally put your product to good use.
pax
Novice

Post by pax »

I understand the product can use virtually any storage device, not just a B&R repository. I'm just saying, if the Update 2 is truly only 2 weeks away wouldn't have it just made sense to hold off and release them together? I'm no product manager, just my two cents...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Not a Product Management call, purely marketing decision (which I agree with though). Veeam Endpoint Backup deserved a separate announcement. Otherwise, the two strong announcements would just overshadow each other - and neither one would get the proper coverage. By separating the announcements, we ensure great coverage for both.
Daniel N.
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by Daniel N. »

---------------------------
Veeam Endpoint Backup
Current operating system is not supported or lacks the required service pack. See system requirements for more information.
OK
I've been using VEB on Windows 10 without issues. I know it’s not supported, but it’s a beta anyway and in the end, I am responsible for whatever happens, anyway. Saying that, I am sad you now prevent the installation on Windows 10. :cry:
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Daniel,

And we are responsible for your successful recovery once you have installed Veeam Endpoint Backup Free :wink:

Once we will get the RTM code of Win 10 to our QA department and they will verify backup and recovery is fully functional – we will enabling our product to be used with Windows 10 OS.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Daniel N. wrote:I know it’s not supported, but it’s a beta anyway and in the end, I am responsible for whatever happens, anyway.
Betas come and go - blog posts, comments and tweets about backup errors and especially failed recoveries stay forever. And one year from now, these will start presenting a major problem for us. People will be hitting those resources - and few will note that they talk about pre-release Windows 10 code.

Additionally, with the code going RTM and hitting tens of thousands more users, we wanted to free up our support folks from ever-increasing stream of support cases with Windows 10 specific problems, which really started to get out of hand during the beta when installing on Windows 10 was not restricted. Most people don't pay attention to the fact it's not supported - they install (since it installs) and want it to work - or they want to "help" us to make it work.
scott.anderson
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Scott Anderson

Post by scott.anderson »

pax wrote:I understand the product can use virtually any storage device, not just a B&R repository. I'm just saying, if the Update 2 is truly only 2 weeks away wouldn't have it just made sense to hold off and release them together? I'm no product manager, just my two cents...
Or you just point VEB at a windows share which just so happens to be on your VB&R server, and when the VB&R U2 is released you point VB&R at this location, create a new Backup repository and let it scan for existing backups. voila!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yep, should do the trick, though I'm not sure you will be able to re-use existing backup chain after changing the repository to Veeam backup one. Dima should give you a bit more details on this.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Scott,
scott.anderson wrote: Or you just point VEB at a windows share which just so happens to be on your VB&R server, and when the VB&R U2 is released you point VB&R at this location, create a new Backup repository and let it scan for existing backups. voila!
Unfortunately – once you repoint the Endpoint to VBR the first job run still be a full backup. From release notes: Backup file mapping is not supported for backup files created in locations other than Veeam backup repository.
apronk
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Arend Pronk

Post by apronk »

Dima P. wrote:Daniel,

And we are responsible for your successful recovery once you have installed Veeam Endpoint Backup Free :wink:

Once we will get the RTM code of Win 10 to our QA department and they will verify backup and recovery is fully functional – we will enabling our product to be used with Windows 10 OS.
Bit of a bad move if you ask me, people used the Beta and RC apparently in Windows 10, disabling it now is like crippling the software.
Instead you could have used a fat popup during installation saying "Windows 10 is not supported, use at your own risk!"
Now you basically say, hey thanks for testing but we revoke your testing pleasure from here on out.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I guess the reason why some users were able to install it in Windows 10, is that the our existing check was by-passed by updated OS identification of Windows 10, so it was disabled (should have been disabled) in all releases of Endpoint. Hope this makes sense.
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert » 2 people like this post

Firstly: Great Job. For sure this is the begining of a new era regarding enpoint data protection.

Secondly: I like the fact that the demo video is using physical endpoints that are Domain Controlers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm proud of you.
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Music to my ears. Thanks Eric :D
munklarsen
Influencer
Full Name: Michael Munk Larsen

Post by munklarsen »

Is a Cloud Connect repository supported as a target?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Cloud Connect Repository is supported through the Veeam Backup & Replication integration. You need update 2 for Veeam Backup & Replication 8 (released today). Choose a B&R repository as a target in VEB, and then do a Backup Copy job to a Cloud Connect repository.

As of today, it isn't supported directly, since we want you to have a local backup readily available for restore.

Cheers

Mike
munklarsen
Influencer
Full Name: Michael Munk Larsen

Post by munklarsen »

Okay, is it only in the beta that the CC repository isn't available directly or do you expect it to be this way when you go GA?

I work for a service provider who already offers CC so naturally, we would like customers to be able to just connect directly to us instead of having to go through their own B&R server first.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Michael,

No, we can't do it directly yet but we heard this from many users and from service providers also so we will certainly investigate it

Today, you need your own B&R server first

Mike
millardjk
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Jim Millard

Post by millardjk »

Mike Resseler wrote:Pax,

Update 2 will be released later this month. Because it combines not only the integration from VEB and VBR, but also will be ready for vSphere 6 support it needs a little longer to test and verify.

But don't worry, it will be here soon :-)

Mike
Hiding the Permissions... dialog for repositories behind "CTRL-[Right Click]" (at least until the first Endpoint tries--and fails--to get access to repositories) is a mean trick to make sure people read the release notes...