Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
BryanB
Lurker
Liked: never

Restore Point Retention

Post by BryanB »

Could use some more insight into retention of individual restore points.

From the blog post announcing Veeam Endpoint from April 14th there is an example and note in regards to backup retention whether the system is powered on or not.

"This means that if you decided to keep 5 restore points, but took a vacation and shut down your computer for 10 days, your previous restore points will not be removed because they were older than 5 days! You will always have 5 days of restore points, which could be far more than 5 restore points, depending on your schedule and if your computer was turned on!"

When this occurs are those "dormant" restore points kept forever until manually removed? Do these additional points consume disk space on the backup destination? I ask since we have roughly 2500+ endpoints spread amongst all of our clients. We wont use it at all of them but it would be fantastic to not have to babysit the software if these "dormant" restore points don't build up or consume space.

Thanks so much for making this awesome piece of software. Looking forward to testing B&R integration when I get to it.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Restore Point Retention

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Bryan,
The blogpost highlights are correct. Unlike VBR retention, Endpoint counts retention in days, so you need to set the number of days to keep you restore points in the repository. However, these restore points are automatically merged when outdated, so there is nothing you need to worry about. For more information, please, take a look at Endpoint Help Center > Backup Retention Policy
BryanB
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by BryanB »

Thanks a bunch for clearing that up for me Dima. :)

I certainly see us implementing VEB for some of our clients.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome! Let us know if you have any questions - we will be happy to assist you :wink: