Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
neodg
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Roman Fidi

Endpoint Backup vs. True Image 2015

Post by neodg »

I have testet Endpoint Backup (Windows 8.1 w. SSD) and Acronis True Image 2015.

Take a volume-level-backup from the same SSD to the same samba share:

Endpoint Backup
Time: 9:58
HDD load during transfer: ~ 40%
Backupsize: 38,3GB

vs.

Acronis True Image 2015
Time: 3:55
HDD load during transfer: 100%
Backupsize 12,4GB

OK, Endpoint Backup is for free (now), but the difference is big. I take daily backups and so for me all these informations are important, but one feature is REALLY missing: to can open the backup und copy a few files out of it.

Hope i can help!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Endpoint Backup vs. True Image 2015

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Roman,
Are you comparing the size of the first full backup for both applications? What the results are if set Veeam Endpoint Backup throttling to disabled in the Control Panel > Settings? Any compression/deduplication enabled in True Image?
neodg
Novice

Post by neodg »

No, i dont. I use both programms with default settings! I think this show differences and optimizitions that can be default. Tomorrow i can test again.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

neodg wrote:one feature is REALLY missing: to can open the backup und copy a few files out of it
Are you talking about Acronis here? Because with Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE, you can certainly do that (by just double-clicking the backup file).

As far as the backup sizes, make sure you are comparing apples to apples. For example, Acronis may be using some default exclusions (recovery partitions, as well as on file lever), which would significantly reduce the backup size.

From what I heard from another user who performed the same test, Acronis did provide smaller backup size in his testing as well, but by less than 10% (which can be explained by different compression algorithms - the one we are using is extremely light on CPU).

May I also ask you to report the issue using Support tab, so that we could see the debug logs.
neodg
Novice

Post by neodg »

neodg wrote:Are you talking about Acronis here? Because with Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE, you can certainly do that (by just double-clicking the backup file).
I am not able to open the backup file, as you described? When i click on the backup file, only veeam endboint backup opens and i can set the point to restore. I use the latest version.
neodg wrote:As far as the backup sizes, make sure you are comparing apples to apples. For example, Acronis may be using some default exclusions (recovery partitions, as well as on file lever), which would significantly reduce the backup size.
Interesting point! I dont know that. We make backups from prior repair hdds/ssds. So, it can´t be a "to big" backup for us.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

neodg wrote:I am not able to open the backup file, as you described? When i click on the backup file, only veeam endboint backup opens and i can set the point to restore. I use the latest version.
There is an option to launch file restore.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Quick test of the entire computer backup speed of the same computer with backup I/O throttling disabled, and all other options at their defaults:

Endpoint Backup 1.0
14 min (44.5 GB)

True Image 2015
20 min (43.1 GB)

Just as expected, proprietary hardware-accelerated compression algorithm allows Veeam Endpoint Backup to be significantly faster (due to using much less CPU cycles) at the cost of just slightly larger backup file.
Daniel N.
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by Daniel N. »

neodg wrote:I am not able to open the backup file, as you described? When i click on the backup file, only veeam endboint backup opens and i can set the point to restore. I use the latest version.
Are you talking about this windows?

The window design could be better. The "Restore" button doesn't actually restore that snapshot. It opens that restore point in the "Backup Browser" and lets you choose what files to restore out of that snapshot. The button should be renamed to "Open Snapshot" or something. It's misleading and hesitated a good long time before taking the risk and just click it.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

The "Restore" button doesn't actually restore that snapshot.
I am not sure I follow. Are you talking about the ability to restore the entire computer backup while being logged in? We do provide the ability to run file level recovery and volume level recovery, however, in order to start Bare Metal Recovery you must boot your computer from the recovery media.

EDIT: Now I see. Thanks for the heads up Daniel!
lp@albersdruck.de
Enthusiast
Liked: 33 times
Full Name: Lars Pisanec

Post by lp@albersdruck.de » 4 people like this post

I do have to add a metric to the comparison as well:

Veeam Endpoint Backup:
Booting from automatic created recovery media and restore: works.

True Image 2015:
Their linux based recovery media does not include drivers for my network card, so no restore possible.
Manually created WinPE boot media (not for the average guy) works, restore finishes. Restored OS does not boot however and contains a lot of NTFS errors, missing files and more. True Image reports corrupted backup files. Backups from True Image always finished without error or warning, and verify did not report any errors either.

I'll take a working restore over a not working restore any day ;)
Or as they say: "of course it does not work, but look how fast it is!"
neodg
Novice

Post by neodg »

Daniel N. wrote:Image
The window design could be better. The "Restore" button doesn't actually restore that snapshot. It opens that restore point in the "Backup Browser" and lets you choose what files to restore out of that snapshot. The button should be renamed to "Open Snapshot" or something. It's misleading and hesitated a good long time before taking the risk and just click it.
Ooooooooooooook!

Thanks, that helps a lot! :)
Piter
Lurker

Post by Piter »

I have an PC with SSD and USB3.0 external drive
And I also tried Veeam Endpoint and Acronis True image 2015 - there is no much difference in volume backup. Time almost the same and size of backup very close to equal.

neodg, did you backed up clean OS?
Gostev, it was a virtual machine or real PC as I have?