Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Rich.Philp
Influencer
Liked: never

WAN accelerator cache - always filling up drive

Post by Rich.Philp »

Hi,
Issue: Destination drive where accelerator cache is held, is always filling up when doing copy jobs.

Enviroment:
15 VMs
4 different OSes
Around 2 TB of data in total.

Yesterday I shrunk our Global Cache in the WAN accelerator target from 180GB to 150GB. with the target drive capacity of 200GB.

I have 15 VM's running anything from Windows server 2003 to 20012R2, and 2000. In total around 4 different OSes.
According to my reading, we need 10GB per OS (around 40GB) plus 20GB per TB of data.
So setting my cache to 150GB, will give me more than enough.
After making this change, I noticed that my target cache drive on the target server freed up around 30GB, which is what I would expect.

The backups over night, still ran the drive to capacity though. There is a lot of catch up to do, but it shouldn't effect the WAN accelerator cache.

According to all I have read, we shouldn't need to increase the size of the disk, just change our cache size.

Any other ideas? I also have a running case, but haven't had any help from there as of yet.
Thank you,
Rich
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Re: WAN accelerator cache - always filling up drive

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Rich. What is the support case ID for that case please?
Rich.Philp
Influencer

Post by Rich.Philp »

Hi Gostev,

Thank you,
Rich
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

Hello Rich,

I haven't looked at the case but I just want to clarify while that 20GB per TB of data is going to be located in the folder you specify for the WAN cache, it's a separate set of files from the global cache file for which you're specifying the size. So you can reduce your global cache size further if needed. 40GB is a good minimum size, but the cache can be more effective if it is larger.

This is stated in the system requirements from the user guide as "Disk Space: Global cache size as defined by user, plus 20GB per each 1TB of source VM data"
Rich.Philp
Influencer

Post by Rich.Philp »

Hi Alan,
Thank you for your reply.
I wasn't clear on that. The total space on the drive is 200GB, so with a cache size of 150GB, it gives me a further 50GB spare. So the 40GB was part of the extra space.

What I have tried today is cleared the cache. I think this might cause a rebuild of the cache with tonights copies.

I wont know if this has resolved the issue or not until tomorrow.

Rich