Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
hmusa
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas Moy

Copy Job Headroom

Post by hmusa »

Hi - we have a 2TB quota with a Cloud Connect partner. Initial fully copy upload is around 1TB. My problem is that come day 2 we're hitting our quota limit during merging.

For a separate on-site copy repository, we can usually keep 7 days of backups in less than 2TB. I haven't caught it in the act of merging/injecting, but by the time I check in the morning, it's less than 2TB.

So back to the cloud job: on the proxy I see the following files chronologically:
900GB .vib
14.5GB .vib
1.1TB .vbk
246KB .vbm

I'm curious if this is normal behavior for a Backup Copy job to a Cloud provider. If I want to have 2TB at rest capacity, do I need 3TB allocated for the cloud repository? 4TB?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
-
Tom
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Copy Job Headroom

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Tom.

No, this is not a normal behavior.

The behavior should be exactly identical between your on-site Backup Copy, and the one going to your Cloud Connect provider (as in both cases, exactly the same code is used - so any deviations in behavior are simply impossible).

I recommend you troubleshoot this with support to see what has caused that large 900 MB increment to be created. Usually, it can only happen when some new VM is added to the Backup Copy job. But, there is always a chance that there is some bug as well.

Thanks!
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Copy Job Headroom

Post by dellock6 »

Also, you may want to check with your service provider the kind of billing he's doing, I've seen some VCC providers offering large quota and afterwards billing end users only for the consumed space. In this way, they can allocate the optimal space and not just sizing the cloud repository to the size of the full backup plus some increments, because sometimes this sizing is too small.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1