Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MAA
Expert
Liked: 3 times

Restore Job with Schedule

Post by MAA »

Hello,
How can i create Restore Job with Schedule? (I need to restore the SQL database on a schedule)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Restore Job with Schedule

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
Could you specify your use case please? Do you want to restore SQL database only?
You can restore files/VMs by using our PowerShell SDK and scheduling PowerShell script with Windows Task Manager.
Thank you!
MAA
Expert
Liked: 3 times

Post by MAA »

Do you want to restore SQL database only?
Yes, SQL database only.

You can restore files/VMs by using our PowerShell SDK and scheduling PowerShell script with Windows Task Manager.
Do you have plans to add Restore Job with Schedule in B&R GUI?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

You can schedule restore of VMs with SQL, but automatic pure SQL database restore(as you do using SQL Explorer) is not feasible so far.
I`m not sure if we have short-term plans to add an option of automatic restore via GUI, since we have a quite few requests. But we`ll definitely take your feedback into consideration!
Could you please specify your use case?
Thanks!
Grime121
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Evan

Post by Grime121 »

I have a need for this, too. We have a "CLONE" environment that is basically a mirror copy of our PRODUCTION environment. We restore the databases to these SQL servers nightly. We have been using the EMC's Microsoft Application Agent for Data Domains (ddboost) to accomplish this in the past, but this has been requiring us to take separate backups directly to the Data Domains using that application, which duplicates the backup data we are storing on the Data Domains, since we are already backing up the PRODUCTION SQL VMs using Veeam.

We have been looking into using Veeam to restore these databases nightly to the CLONE environment instead, which would allow us to stop taking these separate backups. We have not been able to find a way to accomplish this yet, though. In fact, even using the Veeam PowerShell modules from the SQL servers seems to be impossible, since the Veeam PS modules will only work on a server that has the Veeam Backup & Replication Console installed onto it. We can work around that by scheduling, and running the scripts on the Veeam backup server instead, but it would also be helpful if the Veeam PS modules could be installed and used on servers without having to install the entire Veeam Backup & Replication Admin Console.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Evan,
In fact, even using the Veeam PowerShell modules from the SQL servers seems to be impossible, since the Veeam PS modules will only work on a server that has the Veeam Backup & Replication Console installed onto it.
You are talking about PS Snapin, not module. We do have the feature request for a separate PS module and it is now under discussion. Cannot argue on its high demand seeing how Microsoft disabled snap-ins support in Powershell Core, so I know how you feel.
If it's crucial to trigger restore scripts from SQL server, as a workaround, you can combine scheduling with implicit remoting to the machine hosting VBR console.

By the way, here is our discussion on PS module.

Warm regards,
Oleg