Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

Files to Tape job and CIFS problem

Post by pufferdude »

I can't seem to figure out what should be simple. I have a bunch of files on a CIFS share (FreeNAS box) that I want to put on tape with a File to Tape job. I have the share showing up as a backup repository of type CIFS. When I create a new Tape | Files job, my only options on the "Files and Folders" dialog is the Veeam server itself and all of my backup proxies... the CIFS share is NOT listed there and I can see no way to select files from it.

This leads me to believe that I've missed something, somewhere. Do I need to add the CIFS share to some place OTHER than Backup Repositories? If so, I sure can't see where. I also tried to add my NAS as a "Managed Server" of type SMB3, but that clearly only works on real Windows boxes... so what am I missing? Am I supposed to just map a drive to the CIFS share from the Veeam server so it looks like local storage? (Note that this share is not really a backup repository I'm using... I just tried adding it as one because that was the only option I could find to add the share to Veeam) Also, I'm NOT trying to back up Veeam backups to tape... just a bunch of normal files sitting on a share.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Files to Tape job and CIFS problem

Post by tsightler »

You don't need to add it as a repository at all as you're not using it to store backup files. When you create the Files-to-tape job and you get to the Files and Folder screen just click the Add button and either browse the network for the share or manually enter the UNC path to the share. That's all you have to do.
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

Doh, thanks! I knew it had to be something simple I was missing. Now I have a different problem. If I select an entire share (\\mynas\myshare) as the source, I get an "Unable to enumerate files in folder \\mynas\myshare" error and the job fails. So then I tried selecting all of the root folders in the share as the source instead, and one out of 12 folders got the "Unable to enumerate..." error but the job proceeded to process the rest of the directories/files.

What is the likely problem with this one folder (that also causes the entire job to fail when the share is selected as the source)? Is it possible I have paths too long in those subdirectories, or illegal characters, or ? Just wanting to know what to look for in this laaaaaarge folder structure.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

What about trying one of solutions provided here and seeing whether it applies to your case? Thanks.
pufferdude
Expert

Post by pufferdude »

I was able to track down the source of this failure... in some of the folders on the share there were files named MEMSTICK.IND and MSTK_PRO.IND that were zero bytes and had no modified date, and Veeam chokes Big Time on them (it's curious why it can't just bypass them and instead fails the job.) They appear to be from some old Sony memory stick that was copied to this share long ago (this is a video archive.) Deleting these files let the tape backup run without the enumeration errors. Problem solved! :D
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Glad to hear you were able to solve the issue.

Thank you for taking time and sharing the solution; appreciated. I will pass this valuable information to our QA team.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Jim, QA team is interested in seeing your logs. Can you open a ticket and provide there required logs, as well as, zero byte files without modification date? It should help us to find out the root cause of the issue. Thanks.