Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Jim Mc
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: James McGuire

Ports required

Post by Jim Mc »

Hi,

i'm trying to troubleshoot a network issue, can I just double-check is the following KB article accurate?

http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... ports.html

Specifically the following, because wouldn't the connection actually come from the source replication proxy rather than the backup server? If not, why not?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Ports required

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi James,

Yes, this is correct. AAIP process is triggered form the backup server. What network issue are you trying to troubleshoot?

Thanks!
Jim Mc
Influencer

Post by Jim Mc »

Error is unable to connect to the admin$ share on a VM which is on a separate network, which I'm assuming is related to VSS, as when I set VSS to 'ignore' the replication succeeds with a warning.

<NW-A>--------<NW-B>--------<NW-C>

Source proxies are on network-B, destination proxies and Veeam B&R Server on Network C, VM to be replicated is on network A. Trying to understand if the connection to the CIFS admin$ share is being initiated by the Source Proxy on Network-B or the B&R Server on Network C so I know which firewalls are involved.

I had thought that since the Source Proxies are repsonsible for communication with the ESXi hosts and the Guest VM that the CIFS connection would come directly from the Source Proxy on Network-B, but you're sure it comes from B&R Server on Network-C? Wouldn't this tie up the B&R server quite a bit, and what does it need this connectivity to the guest VM for?

Many thanks,

James
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Jim Mc wrote:I had thought that since the Source Proxies are repsonsible for communication with the ESXi hosts and the Guest VM that the CIFS connection would come directly from the Source Proxy on Network-B, but you're sure it comes from B&R Server on Network-C? Wouldn't this tie up the B&R server quite a bit, and what does it need this connectivity to the guest VM for?
This connectivity is required by our runtime that performs application-aware image processing. BTW, direct network connection is not required for this option, you can use VIX API (VMware Tools) to run this task as well.

See this topic for more info > Networkless backups using VIX
Jim Mc
Influencer

Post by Jim Mc »

That's great, thanks for the tip off.