Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Harald
Enthusiast
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Harald Husemann

vLab: vPower NFS Volume already exists

Post by Harald »

Hi all,

I've just setup a vLab in our Veeam environment (support ID is 00341658), we're running Veeam version 8 and vSphere 5.5. So far everything works, I can create SureBackup jobs, they are running well and I can ping the VMs in the lab - but, when the job is finished the vPower NFS datastore is still mounted, so, the next time SureBackup runs it fails with "Error: Unable to mount vPower NFS volume (...) Fault AlreadyExistsFault".
I can manually unmount the datastore in the vCenter without any issues (just the usual warning from vCenter when unmounting a datastore, telling me that I will be unable to access VMs residing on it), and after this, SureBackup runs again without errors.
I've found an old KB article (KB ID 1690) and also an old thread here in the forum (http://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere- ... 10832.html), but the KB article just tells me how to the remove the mount if it's not visible in vCenter (which it is), and the forum thread deals with Veeam v5 and v6.
So, any ideas how to solve this with v8? I haven't opened a support case so far, I decided to try the forum first since it's not a real productive issue.

Thanks and best regards from Germany,

Harald
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Re: vLab: vPower NFS Volume already exists

Post by nefes »

Could you please re-check your case number? The one you provided was created at April, 2013.
Log review can give more ideas, but for now I can imagine one reason: the name of your backup console cannot be resolved from target ESXi. Could you please check if that is the case?
Harald
Enthusiast

Post by Harald »

Hello nefes,

thanks for your answer. First of all, the 00341658 is not a case number (I haven't opened a case so far), but our support identifier from the license manager. Sorry for the confusion, :-).
Then, I've just checked the name resolution, and it's ok: I can resolve (and even ping) our backup console from the ESXi CLI, by using the short name as well as the FQDN.

For log review, which logs would be helpful to track it down?

Thanks and kind regards from Germany,

Harald
nefes
Veeam Software

Post by nefes »

This forum is not intended for log posting, however when you post here your case number, any dev team member can look into your case and help to find out the reason.
This also would help us to post back the resolution of your problem in case any other customer will come here later with same problem.
That is why I'm asking you to post case number here.
Harald
Enthusiast

Post by Harald »

Hello nefes,

okay, I see, so I will open a support case and then come back to the forum with the case ID. My hope was that someone here in the forum has seen such an issue before and can give me a hint what's causing it. I will open the case when I'm back in the office in January, since we're now on christmas holidays.

Thanks for your help so far,

have a merry x-mas and a happy new year,

Harald
dannythake
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Danny Thake

Post by dannythake »

Hi,

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having the same issue - Veeam v8 with vCenter 5.5. When i start a surebackup session with two VM's in it, the first vm starts correctly, but when publishing the second VM i get an Alreadyexistsfault (The specified key, name, or identifier already exists).

It It then fails and leave the Datastore mounted, which i can unmount, but get the same problem all over again when i rerun the job.

I haven't opened a support ticket yet as i'm still waiting for my outstanding case to be resolved, and do not want to take any focus away from that.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Danny, I cannot check for solution, since OP hasn't shared his case ID. Logs review is required to investigate this issue, so please open a case once you find it appropriate.
dannythake
Enthusiast

Post by dannythake » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Foggy, ticket raised (00874012)
Harald
Enthusiast

Post by Harald » 1 person likes this post

Hi Danny,

just saw you're having the same problem. My Case-ID was 00719642, and it turned out that the only solution was to reboot the ESX server which blocked the NFS mount.

Hope this helps,

kind regards from Germany,

Harald
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thanks, Harald, for getting back with this.

Danny, unless host reboot (if applicable) does not help, please continue to investigate with support.
dannythake
Enthusiast

Post by dannythake »

Thanks Both.

I have been through the Veeam KB article for Inactive Datastores, and also restarted the management Agents on each of my hosts, but still no joy. Working with support at the moment, will post the outcome to assist others

Thanks
IS_INF
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Carter Baller

Post by IS_INF »

I'm experiencing the same issue. Veeam 8.0.0.817, ESXi 5.1.

When a NFS-based restore job runs, such as SureBackup or Instant Recovery, if the datastore is free of the Veeam NFS datastores, the first job completes successfully. After that, all subsequent jobs fail (with
Error: Unable to mount vPower NFS volume (<VeeamServer>:/VeeamBackup_<VeeamServer>). <SAN IP>: Fault "AlreadyExistsFault"
) until the NFS datastore is unmounted manually.

I've disabled all firewalls between the host and Veeam Backup and Replication server, they're on the same LAN, and I've tried restarting the management agents. No joy.
dannythake
Enthusiast

Post by dannythake »

Good Morning,

Yes, we did get a solution eventually. Everything pointed towards it being a duplicate datastore, but looking on each host within the storage tab (vsphere client) didn't show any duplicates.

Oddly, if you changed the view from "Hosts and Clusters" to "Datastores" the duplicate then mysteriously appeared! Then manually unmounted each of them and re-mounted the correct one.

Hope that helps, but it may not be the solution to your issue.
nefes
Veeam Software

Post by nefes »

Could you please check whether your vPower NFS server DNS name can be resolved (both forward and backward) on your ESXi?
Sometimes it can be a reason for such problem.
mdmd
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mike

[MERGED]: SureBACKUP - Creating NAS error

Post by mdmd »

Hi All,

Hope you can help.
I haven't played with Surebackup in a year or so now, and have gone back to configuring it. ALl seems to be setup ok (from what i remember). However when i run a sure backup i get this error :

Create NAS datastore The specified key, name, or identifier '/vmfs/volumes/a7ff5ec3-91342d2d' already exists.

Now this is the VeeamBackup_BC-VB-001 datastore already created from when i configured this before a year ago i think. Am I ok just to remove this, is it only Surebackup that uses this or doesnt any part of B&R use it?

Thanks

Mike
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Am I ok just to remove this
It seems that the NFS share from your Veeam server is still mounted on your ESX host. Click on the corresponding host then go to "Configuration" and take a look under "Storage". Is there a NFS share mounted called "VeeamBackup_BC-VB-001" ? Try to unmount it and run your SureBackup again.

Thank you.