Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
v33@m3r
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mr Veeam McVeeamerson

Remote Copy Job - GFS - initial annual backup?

Post by v33@m3r »

Hi There,

I am using Veeam B&R v8, and have just set up my first Veeam copy job, with the GFS scheme, and it appears to be working fine, with the first full sync complete.
I would like to kick off a yearly backup right now (Rather than waiting for the end of the year for the first yearly job to kick off)
I would like to keep this restore point same amount of time that I will be keeping my usual yearly jobs (eg 5 years)

Is there any way I can do this with my current job somehow?

Thanks in advance!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Remote Copy Job - GFS - initial annual backup?

Post by Shestakov »

Hi!
The easiest and fastest solution I see is just to copy one of the existing full backups to a special folder and mark it as an "initial yearly".
Does it work for you? Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

How many restore points you're keeping? May be you can lower that number to 2, enable yearly restore point, and select the closest day for its creation. Depending on your sync interval it will take a a day or so, until oldest restore point (.vbk) reaches the specified day, and yearly backup is created. Thanks.
v33@m3r
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mr Veeam McVeeamerson

Post by v33@m3r »

Hi There, thanks for the replies. I'll give that a shot so v.Eremin. I already have 2 restore points selected in the 'restore points to keep' section.
I have gone into the GFS settings, and only enabled the yearly backup, and I have the yearly backup time currently set to be 25th of April.
When the job is complete, i will go back in and reset all of the GFS settings to the way I want them to be. (eg I will have 10 restore points for the yearlys).
Would it be safe to say then that my restore point that i have just created will be kept there now for 10 years?
Cheers!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

The newly specified GFS retention settings will be applied to the point which backup time was set to 25th of April. Thanks.