Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vaicsimmons
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Simmons

Veeam & Windows 2012 Deduplication

Post by vaicsimmons »

I am a new user to Veeam Backup and Recovery. Monday thru Saturday, I will be taking nightly forward incrementals and a full backup on Sunday of all of our VMs. I will keep the last four weekly backups, 12 monthly backups and 7 yearly backups. In total, all VMs are around 500-700 GB. The backups will be stored on a Windows 2012 volume with deduplication turned on.

Based upon my readings, I do not want to want the incrementals to be deduplicated. However, it would make sense to deduplicate the weekly and older backups as the likelihood of have to restore from them are much smaller than the incrementals. With that said, I am assuming that I need to create two Wndows volumes, one with dedup disabled for the nightly incrementals and another with dedupe enabled to store the weekly and older backups. Is this assumption correct on how to handle this situation?

Any and all suggestion and advise is appreciated!

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam & Windows 2012 Deduplication

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Chris,

For your primary backup repository it is, indeed, recommended to have fast storage. Deduplication will affect SureBackup and Instant VM Recovery process. For long-term archival strategy use backup copy jobs and GFS retention policy that would be targeted to a deduplicated volume.

Thank you!