Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
LoicD
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Loïc DUBOURDIEU

Feature Request : Save Office365 Services

Post by LoicD »

it would be nice to add "saving o365 services" (exchange online, sharepoint online, OneDrive) in your products. There is no good existing solutions yet on the market.
Saving in cloud storage or on local storage.

thank you
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Feature Request : Save Office365 Services

Post by Mike Resseler »

Loic,

What do you exactly would like to see? Are you saying you want the data of those services protected per user? (His / hers emails, onedrive information and personal libraries in SP online?) Or simply the configuration?

For your info, data that is in OneDrive today will be protected since we catch that folder (unless you exclude it...)

Let us know

Thanks

Mike
LoicD
Novice

Post by LoicD »

hello, thank you for your anwer.

for Exchange online : users mailboxes
for Sharepoint online : personnal web sites, web applications and collection sites (as sharepoint on premise agent in VB&R)
for one drive : users personal files and common storage for the business (not sure that really exists, you can buy more storage if i remember well)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Loic,

Understood, but I'm afraid it is not that simple. Connecting to those services and backing up data is a whole different ball game than what we do with Endpoint. But never say never with Veeam right ;-)

Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Office365 data stored in the cloud, so I am not even sure how this feature request relates to ENDPOINT backup ;) seems like a totally different product to me.
LoicD
Novice

Post by LoicD »

in my opinion, veeam should create a new product, because thoses datas aren't VMs in reference to VB&R, they aren't on premise in reference to Endpoint.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Loic,

Not that we will do this, but pure out of interest, I am wondering what exactly needs to be in that "new" product. Is it something that you want to see on company level? Meaning, a connection to a subscription or domain and it will protect the sharepoint farm(s) and all email boxes etc... Or do you prefer that it is "per user", something running on the endpoint...

Just curious to see what the expectations are from a company and/or enduser perspective
LoicD
Novice

Post by LoicD » 1 person likes this post

first choice, we need to protect Sharepoint and all email boxes and have a granular restore (files, emails...).
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 84 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli » 1 person likes this post

+1 for a Veeam product to backup Office365 data
GuidoJ
Novice

Post by GuidoJ »

+1 for a Veeam product to backup Office365 data
paulsond
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Paulson

Post by paulsond »

Our association data is rapidly moving to Office 365. Although Microsoft offers recovery from recycling bins, there are timeframes that you must realize that data needs recovery. Plus, with syncing of OneDrive for Business and SharePoint document libraries to desktops opens the data stored in O365 resources subject to malware damage. I understand that Microsoft can help in recovering data the data recovery is on their timeline, not mine. I am willing to pay for the ability to backup and restore my data on my timeline.

A year ago, a staff member had about 15,000 data files in their OneDrive that he shared with their Admin Assistant. The staff member accidentally deleted all the data from their local copy of OneDrive for business. OneDrive performed as it should by deleting the same data into the user's recycle bin. A few hours later the Admin Assistant was working with the data locally on their computer when OneDrive found a copy of the data on the Admin's hard drive. At that point, you could see the data disappear from the windows file explorer on the Admin's computer. It was funny seeing the files just disappear from file explorer.

It took about a day for me to restore the 15,000 files from the OneDrive for Business recycle bin. Here is a helpful hint if you ever need to recover 15,000 files from a recycle bin in OneDrive. Restore the files. Do not restore the directories. The data want to create their directory structure during the restore.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

David,

This is a very good story (well, not really since it took you a lot of effort but you know what I mean...) We understand very well what you are saying but we are planning this type of backup (or archive) step-by-step to make sure that what we deliver is something that is good (and can be trusted...). Please keep telling us what exactly you would like to see and what recovery possibilities you would like... We don't promise, but we are listening!

Thanks
Mike