Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
maverick964_uk
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mike Lavery

Veeam7 hang

Post by maverick964_uk »

We have Veeam 7 patch4 installed on a dedicated HP DL380 server (24 cpus and 48GB ram).
We have 64 backups that run each night and we have 6 x HP DL380 hosts with all the same resources.

Most nights backups work fine no problem but we see odd days where everything has hung. This morning, 51 jobs were still in the running state and it would seem that they are all hanging, waiting for backup resources??

I noticed some proxy logs were reporting "Failed to process command "IsOrphaned"". What does this mean?

Proxies are set to concurrent tasks 6 however they can go to 12. Its all direct SAN mode too.
We write to NAS shares on a HP D2D. All 10Gbit networking. The two backup respositories are set to 10 for maximum tasks.

As said it all normally works but we get this complete hang 1-2 times a week. The only cure is to reboot the Veeam server.. The veeam gui works but stopping jobs shows no response...

any ideas/clues would be very helpful. thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam7 hang

Post by foggy »

Mike, have you contacted technical support with this issue? Logs investigation is definitely required here.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,
maverick964_uk wrote:I noticed some proxy logs were reporting "Failed to process command "IsOrphaned"". What does this mean?
Not sure, please ask our support team for assistance with reading the debug log.
maverick964_uk wrote:Proxies are set to concurrent tasks 6 however they can go to 12. Its all direct SAN mode too.
Not sure I follow this statement. Do you mean that the number of tasks can be 12 even though you've configured 6 or something else?

Thank you!
maverick964_uk
Expert

Post by maverick964_uk »

yes it was set to 6 for tasks per proxy however the green tick remains like this up to 12. If we go to 13 then we get a warning sign. Should we set to 12 for each proxy?

I rebooted the veeam management server then tried to run a job. It sat there saying "waiting for backup infrastructure resources".
As I saw the IsOrphaned reported on proxy logs I rebooted all proxies. Once they all came up then veeam started working...

Looks like the veeam server had troubles with the proxies... What could cause this?

If necessary we can raise this with support...if you think we should.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

maverick964_uk wrote:yes it was set to 6 for tasks per proxy however the green tick remains like this up to 12. If we go to 13 then we get a warning sign. Should we set to 12 for each proxy?
You can raise it if you need to optimize your backup window by running more concurrent tasks.
maverick964_uk wrote:Looks like the veeam server had troubles with the proxies... What could cause this?
Hard to say without logs reveiw.
maverick964_uk wrote:If necessary we can raise this with support...if you think we should.
If you see the same behavior once again, please open a case.
maverick964_uk
Expert

Post by maverick964_uk »

many thanks. We will open a case...