Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Nautilus
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Nauti

Veeam backup vs. Vmware Data Protection

Post by Nautilus »

maybe someone will says.... not again.... but

i'am looking for sheet which compare veeam Backup with all Editions (standard, enterprise, enterprise Plus) with
Vmware Data Protection and vmware data Protection Advanced.

I want to see the Prce and what is possible and what not.

thanks for all information

Naut
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam backup vs. Vmware Data Protection

Post by Gostev »

Hi Nauti, we don't do detailed comparisons like that with any of our competitors due to the legal implications. Besides, any comparison will be biased, whether it comes from Veeam or VMware. I recommend that you install both products and see which one works best for you. I am confident that you will prefer Veeam. Thanks!
krogers
Service Provider
Full Name: K Rogers

[MERGED] Veeam vs. VMWare vDP 6.0

Post by krogers »

Hello,

Can the Veeam team provide information to help us as clients request differentiation between Veeam and VMware vDP 6.0 ? According to the writeups and what is being said vDP 6.0 will include a lot of features that make Veeam our go to solution.

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2015/02 ... d-vr6.html
"One of the new advanced features in VDP 6.0 is the addition of backup agents for Microsoft SQL Server, Exchange, and SharePoint. The agents enable application consistent backup and recovery of these applications including the ability to select individual databases for backup and restore, enable multiple stream backups, and truncate database logs. These agents support SQL Server Failover and AlwaysOn Clusters and Exchange Database Availability Groups."

Thank you
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam backup vs. Vmware Data Protection

Post by Gostev »

The biggest architecture difference is that our solution is completely agentless, and does not require that you backup the same data twice as VDPA does - first time on image-level (to enable full VM restores), and second time on application level (to enable application restores), which obviously puts lots of unneeded stress on your production VMs. We are able to do recoveries at any level from a single-pass image-level backup, and without requiring agents in VMs (dealing with which is always a nightmare).

Of course, the overall amount of all the features between the two product also differs just like you would expect between 8 year old and 2 year old product, however as mentioned above, we are unable to provide detailed comparisons, and encourage everyone to just put us in the lab and compare directly.
maxvv
Lurker
Full Name: Max Wågberg

[MERGED] Veeam VS VDR School Project

Post by maxvv »

Hello!

I've got an internship at an IT/networking/consultant company for 10 weeks and 6 weeks has already flew by. I am still in school, and to take the final exam, im have to create a project based on a question on the 4 remaining weeks. I'd really like some help right here.

I am thinking about working arount the question "Veeam VS Vmware Data Recovery in a small office envoriment" Functions, economically etc..
We got a lab enviroment where i can test these two backup solutions, and compare them to eachother. But i could really use some helpful information from you guys, just about anything would help me right here... useful links, information about Veeam or VDR, ANYTHING since I know just about nothing about Veeam or VDR

In 6 weeks im supposed to introduce my work for the company im working for right now, and im very stressed out about it.

Max
maxvv
Lurker
Full Name: Max Wågberg

Re: Veeam VS VDR School Project

Post by maxvv »

I ofcourse mean VDP since it has replaced VDR, im just so stressed out right now haha
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam VS VDR School Project

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Max,
Sure, you can start from FAQ and VBR for VMware User Guide to get initial understanding about the processes.

Here is also a link to our technical documentations. And you can use search on the forums to find more specific info.
Thanks for the interest and good luck!