Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
dirkdigs
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mike

compellent replay manager snapshots

Post by dirkdigs »

i have veeam v8 configured with 2 node hyper v cluster and dell compellent storage.

replay manager software is installed on the off host backup proxy and both HV nodes

veeam backups are leveraging the compellent replay manager vss provider.

I have a 6 TB CSV volume. When i do a backup does the comepellent snapshot to whole 6 TB volume? How does this work?

If i am only backing up 1 server in this CSV does it still snapshot he whole 6 TB ? Im trying to figure out how much free space i need for SAN snapshots now.

thanks,
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: compellent replay manager snapshots

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Jason,

Yes, the entire volume will be snapshotted via the configured VSS provider. Do you want to determine how much space is required on ht off-host backup proxy?

Please take a look at our online documentation for additional details > http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/h ... proxy.html

Thanks!
dirkdigs
Enthusiast

Post by dirkdigs »

so if i run a backup job that backups up a file server VM (say 1 TB) and the LUN that contains this file server is 6 TB. The Veeam software will take a 6 TB snapshot or is it smart enough to see this server total size and will only snapshot that portion of the LUN where the VM resides?

So in this case do i need to always have minimum 6TB of free space for the snapshot?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

No, VSS snapshots do not consume the same space as you've allocated to the volumes. You can check that by manually triggering a shadow copy snapshot on the volume of your Windows Server.
dirkdigs
Enthusiast

Post by dirkdigs »

OK the snaphost was approx 400 GB ,I also noticed it marks the replay as "never expires" however it did delete it after the job finished. interesting.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's expected, cause after your backup job finishes VSS snapshot is removed from the volume it was taken from.