Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tjcooper
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: T. J. Cooper

VEEAM and Datastores

Post by tjcooper »

I have a new 3PAR 7200. I decided to create larger thin provisioned datastores and put multiple vm volumes on them. These virt. volumes often go to different host.

How does veeam backup work in regards to datastores? If I want to implemented snapshots on the 3PAR do I have to implement a 1:1 vmdk to datastore ratio.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: VEEAM and Datastores

Post by Andreas Neufert »

HI T.J.,

no. For regular Veeam Backups you do not have to take any care. For our Storage Integration based Backup, all VMDKs of a Single VM have to be on a single volume, but you can place multiple VMs on the same volume.
tjcooper
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: T. J. Cooper

Post by tjcooper »

If you put multiple VMs on the same volume then it snapshots whatever VMs are on the volume at the same time, correct? That would make sense, if you are taking a snapshot of a storage volume using the storage-based snapshots you would essentially be snapping ALL VMs on that volume.

Thanks for the reply. We are looking at VEEAM for our virtual environment and DPM for physical. I may have to reconfigure my volumes, but thanks to Storage vMotion, its not a big deal anymore.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct. Please take a look at this link for more info > http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... n_hiw.html