Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
InSync
Novice
Liked: never

Active Directory / iSCSI

Post by InSync »

Can this free edition backup and restore Active Directory and other server related file structure on 2012 R2 or other supported servers ?

Also when backing up a HYPER-V VM inside the Guest, can this free edition backup to iSCSI? If it backs up to a network share only does it just keep 1 backup that is replaced each time or does it backup using incremental. Windows Server Backup only keeps last copy on network share which is overwritten each time and obviously USB cannot be automatically virtualized so iSCSI is the only viable option for Windows Server backup, but what about Veeam ?

Many Thanks

IIT
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Active Directory / iSCSI

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to the community,
Active Directory and other server related file structure on 2012 R2 or other supported servers
Yes, simple configurations – but better test it in your environment and share the results with the community :wink:
Also when backing up a HYPER-V VM inside the Guest, can this free edition backup to iSCSI?
If the iSCSI target is mounted as a local volume you should be able to specify it as a local backup destination in the Configure Backup wizard.
it just keep 1 backup that is replaced each time or does it backup using incremental
The supported backup mode is forever incremental, so first backup is full, rest are incrementals.
what about Veeam ?
Here is a detailed explanation from the Veeam Endpoint Backup Help Center
InSync
Novice

Post by InSync »

Many thanks

I just had a quick try, I backed up a folder and it backed up great (170mb Source) The backup file size was more (210mb) than the folder backed up and also when ran it again on the same folder with no changes it created a incremental file of 30MB as well... is this normal behaviour as these ratios seem a lot and will surely take up much disk space, or is this the same if I backed up 3gb?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

That looks normal because of the small size you are protecting. For example, my entire laptop is 200 GB of actual data but my backup (first one) was less than 180. Now I have daily incrementals of 2 to 10 GB which is more or less the changes I do on a daily basis. So you normally should see improvements when you start going for an entire backup (full computer) or larger data

Mike
InSync
Novice

Post by InSync »

Ok, so even though no data was changed the incremental file is still made but shouldnt be large when backing up massive amounts and there was no change in data, im seeing 30mb as large compared to the small amount backed up? Is this correct?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What backup mode are you using? Please be aware that incremental changes are based either on the blocks of the disk or modification date of the file, so, for example, when you do defragmentation, data blocks will be treated as new even though the actual content was not changed.
InSync
Novice

Post by InSync »

Did it straight after, nothing had changed.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Incremental file will be created in any case to reflect that a new restore point has been created. Every restore point should have metadata present if you want to restore to this point in time.
InSync
Novice

Post by InSync »

Ok just as i thought, how many incremental files will be kept is it based on the retainment days ?

Can you confirm about Active Directory / Server Backups ie system state / bare metal / AD info?

Can anyone confirm it can replace windows backup for this on 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2012 R2

Thanks

IIT
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 » 1 person likes this post

Vitaliy S. wrote:Incremental file will be created in any case to reflect that a new restore point has been created. Every restore point should have metadata present if you want to restore to this point in time.
From my experience this 30 MB file can be used as a placeholder for the backup. Veeam requires a file with metadata to be created in order to preserve the backup chain. If you left a machine alone and had it do backups with no data changing, each night the job runs a small 30MB file will be created to preserve the chain of the backups.

If you choose to retain 7 days of backups you will have a single large backup (.vbk) and 6 incrementals (.vib) files. On the 8th day it will create another .vib file then inject the oldest .vib into the .vbk file to maintain your 7 days of retention.

I have not done an AD or Exchange restore from VEB just file restores at this point. I am using it in place of Windows Backup for both 2008 R2 and 2012 R2.

I do not work for Veeam so they may explain it better, I just have been using their products for a long while!
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Ok just as i thought, how many incremental files will be kept is it based on the retainment days ?
It depends on the specified schedule and backup being started manually. Frankly speaking, if you set only daily schedule – you will get 1 increment per day. Help Center > Retention.
Can you confirm about Active Directory / Server Backups ie system state / bare metal / AD info? ... it can replace windows backup for this on 2008 R2 / 2012 / 2012 R2
Please, bear in mind that it was designed as backup for desktops and laptops on the first place, so my previous reply remains: test it – there is a high possibility you find Endpoint Backup good enough to back up your last reaming physical server.

P.S. JaxIsland7575 thanks - good explanation!
InSync
Novice

Post by InSync »

Cheers Chaps

Anyone else feel free to chime in if you have tried and tested on AD.

The reason I mainly ask is on a Domain Controller on backups you usually get a SYSTEM STATE Option, ive not tried it yet would we get this option on veeam Backup ? This is the part im reserved about.

Thanks

IIT
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

InSync, what backup are you performing? There is Entire, Volume, or File-level. If you select Entire computer then all of that information is available during the restore. You would boot from the recovery media that VEB created, and do a complete restore, that gets the machine up and running as of the time the backup was taken. I can understand in some circumstances that Volume would be selected if you have additional drives that you don't need backed up, but I don't use it, I just choose the Entire backup and know that I can restore an entire machine. With the Entire restore though it still allows me to do file level restores so its the best of both worlds in my mind.
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Correct! In addition you can use the File Level Recovery > Operating System Checkbox here is the description System State Data Backup
InSync
Novice

Post by InSync »

On Windows Server backups you can select System State which is the bare minimum to get an Activie Directory Domain Controller back up and running after complete failure. System State includes:

Boot files, including the system files, and all files protected by Windows File Protection (WFP).
Active Directory (on a domain controller only).
Sysvol (on a domain controller only).
Certificate Services (on certification authority only).
Cluster database (on a cluster node only).
The registry.
Performance counter configuration information.
Component Services Class registration database.

I know that obviously backing everything up will take all this, but you would need to know where everything is located on the disk on a restore, otherwise you would need to restore the whole C drive and not just the individual components to make sure you go it all.

You see what i mean, C drive backup just takes it all which being selective of maybe just these elements.

Again I know it was aimed at the Desktop, but was wondering if this was planned or not.

Cheers

IIT