Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
quotidian
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rich

ToS seems rather draconian for a free product

Post by quotidian » 2 people like this post

To download Veeam Endpoint Backup Free, one must agree to the following:
9.0 Audit
During the term of this Agreement and for a period of one year thereafter, Veeam may, during normal business hours and upon reasonable prior notice to End User, inspect the files, computer processors, equipment and facilities of End User to verify End User's compliance with this EULA.
For a free product, this seems rather draconian. I'm supposed to stay home from work to let you into my house where you'll have free reign to inspect my family's personal data? Needless to say, I don't accept this agreement.

I presume you have this clause to inspect large commercial deployments of your software. Would you consider revising your ToS on the free product to be something a bit more friendly to home use?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: ToS seems rather draconian for a free product

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks Rich for your feedback, I will pass this information to the corresponding team.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Vitaly, please suggest that they simply add "except for the free software" somewhere in this line. Or add elsewhere in EULA that "9.0 Audit does not apply to the free software". That should do it. Thanks!
quotidian
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rich

Post by quotidian »

Thanks! I realize that you likely had no intention of ever actually doing this, but it will be nice to have it in writing :)