Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

license question

Post by larry »

I have an Veeam 8 enterprise plus license. I am using all my CPU licenses. I am planning my upgrade to VMware 6. While my new servers are staged I will have too many CPUs for my Veeam license during this time (less than 30 days). Can I download the 30 day trail version and legally use for 30 days along with my real license, to bridge this time gap? I wanted to use Veeam for quick migration to the new 6 VC. I will have production VMs on both VMware 5 and 6 for a couple of days so I need to be able to backup all ESX servers ( new and old) .
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6717 times

Re: license question

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

From legal perspective, using trial licenses in production environments is explicitly prohibited by EULA:
4.0 Evaluation License
A License designated as an “Evaluation” License in a Transaction Document authorizes End User to use one (1) copy of the Software for a 30 day period for non-production evaluation or demonstration purposes only.
From common sense perspective, no one at Veeam will have an issue with your doing this once, for a short period of time, and in the specific migration scenario outlined above. Just don't quote me on this ;)

Technically speaking, you don't even need a trial license (you can just install the second B&R server with the same license).

By the way, Quick Migration functionality is available in Veeam Backup Free Edition.