Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
conradblack
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Backup retention policy with synthetic/active full backups?

Post by conradblack »

Heyo,

I have a question about whether or not increments are saved after a full synthetic backup has been performed.

So according to:

http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... ackup.html

"A previously used full backup file remains on disk until it is automatically deleted according to the backup retention policy."

So I'm guessing that the increments get deleted? So, say for example...

I start my backup job on a Monday with a retention policy of 10 restore points and a synthetic full backup scheduled each Monday. On Monday, the first full backup is created, then the increments are created each subsequent day. The next Monday, the first full synthetic backup is created. The retention policy is set to 10 restore points, so according to this article, the first full backup would still be saved, but the increments on Tuesday, Wedensday, etc are deleted? So let's say it's Tuesday on week 2, and I want to restore a backup from last Wednesday, this would not be possible as I only have the full backup from Monday?

Does anything change when using an active full backup as well?

Is this correct? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup retention policy with synthetic/active full backu

Post by veremin »

The increments dependent on previous full backup will stay intact. When there are 10 restore points, counting from the synthetic full backup, the previous full backup and dependent incremets will be deleted.

For more information check corresponding KB and Help Center.

Thanks.