Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
apronk
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Arend Pronk

OS Support

Post by apronk »

While I have been enjoying Veeam Endpoint Backup on a few computers now, it failed to install on Windows Server 2008 (Non-R2).
Is this Operating System not supported ?
The message I receive states the following: "Current operating system is not supported or lacks the required service pack. See system requirements for more information"
The server contains Service Pack 2 and the latest updates, and I failed to find the SystemRequirements for Veeam Endpoint Backup.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: OS Support

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Arend,

That is indeed not supported. The requirements can be found here:http://helpcenter.veeam.com/endpoint/10 ... ments.html

Cheers

Mike
apronk
Enthusiast

Post by apronk »

Hi Mike, thanks for that.
Any reason why Vista and 2008 are not supported, seeing as they are the same underneath as 7 and 2008 R2 ?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Arend,

They aren't really the same underneath. While it just seems like an R2, it was a big difference compared to the non R2.

Cheers

Mike
apronk
Enthusiast

Post by apronk »

Hi Mike,

I don't want to argue this, but in fact it is the same kernel, minor modifications aside 2008 SP2 is basically 2008 R2.
I'm not saying the Roles & Features are the same but everything VEB uses will be exactly the same, so that's why I have a hard time understanding why it won't be supported.
If you'd have told me Veeam decided not to put any effort into testing it because of it's limited use nowadays I'd have understood.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

apronk wrote:If you'd have told me Veeam decided not to put any effort into testing it because of it's limited use nowadays I'd have understood.
This is also true.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

The reason for us not supporting plain 2008 is technical and legitimate. Originally, I hoped we will support it, and we had quite a fight internally over dropping one. From what I remember, the real reason is that plain 2008 lacks a certain feature we use in creating a Recovery Media.
apronk
Enthusiast

Post by apronk »

Gostev wrote:the real reason is that plain 2008 lacks a certain feature we use in creating a Recovery Media.
That seems slightly likely, 2008 favored ImageX based commands.
From 2008 R2 the DISM tool got more elaborate, but ImageX still isn't completely out of the picture.
In fact everything can be done with ImageX alone without the use of DISM.
But I do understand, DISM makes everything easier so why add more ImageX commands just for the few 2008/Vista users out there.