Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
gbeajmn
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James Morgan

Still no way to get a config backup onto tape?

Post by gbeajmn »

I noticed a post from over 2 years ago where it was taken as a feature request, but I can't find anything about it since.

I'm using B&R 8 and run a reverse incremental each night, with each day's full going to tape.
It also let me choose the Configuration backup repository - however it doesn't seem to actually back it up.

Is that still not possible unless I'm backing up just files?

If I change the backup to backup "files" instead and choose only *.vbk, when it does my monthly scheduled active full there will be two .vbk files, so I don't think that will work will it?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Still no way to get a config backup onto tape?

Post by veremin »

Indeed, this request was coined some time ago, indeed, but has not been implemented because other features have received higher priorities.

Also, it has a simple workaround that is usage of files to tape .vbk.

Speaking about additional .vbk created by active full backup on monthly schedule, then, file to tape won't be any different from backup to tape one and once a month will copy both .vbks (active full and the latest point in chain).

Thanks.
gbeajmn
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James Morgan

Post by gbeajmn »

Only problem with that is only a single .vbk will fit on the 2 nightly tapes we use.
Do you get an additional .vbk files mounting up each month or are you back to having a single one next backup?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not sure whether I'm following you on that. What I was trying to say is the following:

Regardless of whether you're using file to tape job with corresponding file mask (*.vbk) or backup to tape job, when time comes and active full is created, the tape job will copy two .vbks (one left by reversed incremental chain and a new active full backup).

Thanks.