Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
gmele
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Mele Giuseppe

Host and Guest VM backup solution

Post by gmele »

Hi,

I'm evaluating Veeam Backup for a small business owner (20 employees) for whom I am migrating two Windows 2003 servers to a single Windows 2012 R2 host machine. Our server configuration will be one physical host machine with local RAID (no NAS) and only one Hyper-V virtual machine (so far). I am looking for a one-stop backup and disaster recovery solution. I need to be able to backup the VM and the host server including the host server's system state. I need to be able to recover files and folders to the VM and also perform a bare metal recovery of the host server or a complete recovery of the VM if necessary. For backup media we would like to use external USB 3.0 disk drives with offsite rotation.

My question is can I achieve the above using Veeam Backup? If yes, what would the architecture look like?

Thank you.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Host and Guest VM backup solution

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Mele,
All your needs can be fulfilled by Veeam Backup and Replication(VBR) and Endpoint solutions.
You can backup your VM using VBR, but it`s not recommended to set up VBR server on the production machine since in a case of disaster you might loose time installing another instance of VBR to recover the VM on the secondary host.
It`s also recommended to have a dedicated backup proxy for better performance. Although it depends on your capabilities of course.
Typical deployment scenarios are provided here.

Note that VBR is a solution for virtual infrastructure, if you want to backup the physical host itself, we`ve got a brand new free solution Veeam Endpoint Backup. Please get familiar.
Thanks!
gmele
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Mele Giuseppe

Post by gmele »

Thank you for the information. I will proceed to evaluate the two products.

Regards.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

You are welcome, Mele.
Don`t hesitate to ask additional questions!