Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
crmunro
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Cameron Munro

Specific Restore Point Backup

Post by crmunro »

Hello!

My sincere apologies if the answer to this question is obvious or overly simple. It may be that the functionality I need is simply not in the standard edition of Veeam!

We run a reverse incremental nightly backup to disk, and then once every two months we archive off to tape. We do this by backing up the .VBKs of our backup jobs using a file-to-tape job.

We had some hardware trouble with our tape drive a few months ago, and while that has been resolved and we are continuing our bi-monthly tape archives, we missed one backup set. I would like to know if it's possible to backup a specific restore point to tape - ie. archive my environment as it was on a specific date in the past.

Please let me know if I need to explain any further! Thank you.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Specific Restore Point Backup

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello Cameron and welcome to the forums!
Is that N-weeks old restore point still on the disk? If it`s not deleted by backup job retention, it`s probably in .vrb file, since you use revered incremental method. As you want it copied to tape as full backup (.vbk file), you need to do the transformation. How many VMs are in the backup we are talking about?
Thanks for the interesting question!
crmunro
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Cameron Munro

Post by crmunro »

Hi Nikita,

Thanks for the reply! My apologies for the delayed response.

We do have those backup jobs still on disk, stored as .vrb files.
We're talking 31 VMs spread across 12 backup jobs, and I'd like to archive all 12 of those jobs.

How would we do a transformation to a .VBK and then back those up? I'd imagine I'd need a lot of disk space for that? (I think it's around 16TB for those 31 VMs... does that mean I need to find another 16+TB of disk space?)

Thank you again for the reply!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

If you want to have full backups of restore points that are currently stored as .vrb files, you can restore VMs to the desired state, backup newly-restored VMs using separate job, and archive resulting .vbk to tapes. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

crmunro wrote:I'd imagine I'd need a lot of disk space for that? (I think it's around 16TB for those 31 VMs... does that mean I need to find another 16+TB of disk space?)
Required disk space is somewhere around the size of the .vbk file you have now. You can restore VMs in parts, not all at once if your have tight resources. Thanks.