Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
shamus
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: shamus

Copying vbk files to a DR site

Post by shamus »

Hello,

I use Veeam 4.1.1 to backup VMs and store the backups on vSphere server 2, then every weekend I use file copy job in Veeam to move the backup files to a DR vSphere 4.0 server 3. I would be grateful for ideas on how to delete the folder contents on the (destination) DR vSphere server before a new file copy job takes place, its just that I have backup files from previous weeks in the same folder which is building up on the VMFS disk space.

Hope this makes sense!
Thanks in advance....
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Copying vbk files to a DR site

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Shamus,

I'm sure there could be other ways of achieving that, but here what comes to my mind:

1. Before starting your copy job execute a batch script that deletes (renames) all the files on your DR site
2. Run your copy job using batch script and Windows Scheduler

Here is an example of how you can script your jobs:
http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 30&start=0

So the final script which runs using Windows Scheduler should lool like the following:

Code: Select all

rmdir FODLERNAME
C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and FastSCP\VeeamManager.exe" backup b3672123-3206-4a88-805f-7c3a50403ef5
Hope it helps! Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Additionaly you may consider using Rsync or DFS-R for keeping your backups in sync at the DR and main sites, for more information please refer to this thread:

http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=587
shamus
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: shamus

Post by shamus »

Hello Vitaly S.

Thanks for your answers it's an excellent start.
Yes the running of the backup in a batch file completes a piece of the jigsaw but the removal of the folder name may not work because with Veeam being installed onto a W2008 R2 server and the RMDIR command will remove a folder on the windows server. The backups are stored on the VMFS disk. Maybe I need VMware PowerCLi to connect to a vSphere server and then set-folder and remove-folder but scripting is not my strong point!

Will look at rsync. Thanks for the answers again.