Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
marciow1
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Marcio W

How do I restore from a cloud backup from another server?

Post by marciow1 »

I set up a cloud repository on server A and created backups in it. How do I restore a VM backed up to this cloud repository to server B? I set up the service provider on server B but I can't figure out how to do a restore.
I read the user guide and the section "Working with Veeam Cloud Connect" seems to imply that the restore can only be done by the server where the backup job was created because that's the only place that has the backups > cloud node.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: How do I restore from a cloud backup from another server

Post by foggy »

Marcio, just to make sure, are you trying to use the same cloud repository within two Veeam B&R instances? Then to see the content of the repository on the second instance, you need to rescan it under Backup Infrastructure node.
marciow1
Novice

Post by marciow1 »

Yes. I have rescanned the repository, but then what? The B&R backups > cloud node doesn't appear. If I try to do a restore and select a VM from server A, I get a "no backups available on disk" error.
This is a basic disaster recovery scenario. I backup server A to the cloud. Assume site of server A is unavailable. How do I now restore server A VMs from the cloud to server B?
Both B&R instances are v8 patch 2.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

marciow1 wrote:Yes. I have rescanned the repository, but then what?
Then, provided that everything is set up correctly, you should be able to see the backups stored in this repository. Please contact technical support for a closer look at your setup.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Marcio,

If you need to restore VMs from the cloud repository, you need to import backup files from the cloud repository via Import button option, and then you will be able to restore these VMs as you would normally do via regular Veeam backup server.

P.S. btw, since you're VCP I would suggest to apply to the corresponding forum to discuss these questions with other VCPs. To apply for the VCP forum, go into the User Control Panel of this forum, select User Groups in the tabs, select "Veeam Cloud Provider" and finally the "Join selected" option. As soon as your email address is verified to be part of the Service Provider domain, your application will be approved.

Thanks!
marciow1
Novice

Post by marciow1 »

The import backup button doesn't show the cloud backups. Anyway, support is giving me workarounds to try to get this to work, but based on the workarounds, it seems that this just wasn't designed as a disaster recovery solution, i.e. able to restore to a new server, so I'm pretty much giving up on this as I need a reliable solution. I was afraid of that when I saw that the Veeam Guide has no mention of how to do this. I also informed my Cloud service provider rep (iLand) of this, and he wrote, "So you were looking for more of a DR solution rather than just an offsite back up solution which Veeam Cloud Connect is. " It's disappointing though there is so much conflicting information though as I wasted a lot of time trying to do what's not possible.

P.S.: Vitaly, not sure how you got the idea I'm a VCP. I'm not.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

If you want to create DR you can use our standard replication but therefor you need an infrastructure at the service provider.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Marcio, any chance the backups are encrypted and get under the Encrypted node after import?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

P.S.: Vitaly, not sure how you got the idea I'm a VCP. I'm not.
To have Cloud Connect bits you have to be a member of VCP program, thus, the statement by Vitaliy. Thanks.