Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Email Notifications

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

I have VBR and my VEB connected together. I updated the notification email on my VBR server and any VBR jobs email correctly. The issue is the VEB are still emailing out on the old address. How can I get it updated so the VEB email notifications on the new address?

Thanks!
VMCE v9
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Re: Email Notifications

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Global settings configured on the Veeam backup server apply to Veeam Endpoint backup jobs as well. You can:
 Configure network throttling settings so that Veeam Endpoint backup job does not consume all network resources.
 Configure global email settings to get alerted about the Veeam Endpoint backup job results.
I took that from the user guide but I am not seeing that behavior. I have the global settings set to send from: backups@me.com and to send to backups@me.com which is a distribution group. All my VBR emails are fine. But the VEB emails are from admin@me.com sending to backups@me.com. How come they are not sending using the same From address that's in the global settings?

Sorry for double posting, I just keep looking into this and finding more info!
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi JaxIsland7575,
For the top of my head, you could have a different FROM email address for VBR jobs because of the granular notification options specified on the backup job level?
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Thanks Dima, that's a good thought, I double checked and the VBR jobs do not have an email notification set on the individual jobs, they are all using the global setting in VBR -> Options.
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Ok, thanks. Can you open a case from the Endpoint backup - we will check the logs?
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Ok, case opened, thank you Dima!
Your support case number is 00909268
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks Jax! Will update this thread once hear anything from QA.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

My other thought was maybe its something with the From address being a distribution group. If I update the email config in VBR to any single user email address the VEB email works. As soon as I set it back to the distribution group it just uses the last single user email that was in there. It acts like it refuses to set the From address as a group address. Just some more tinkering I am doing.
VMCE v9
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

So I was working with support but it did start working. Here was my last email to the support team:
The situation has changed since yesterday. The original issue was all VBR jobs were emailing the global configuration email address. The VEB jobs were emailing an old email address that was modified in the global configuration of VBR. Yesterday evening I created a Veeam user and a Veeam Info distribution group in my Exchange server. I set the VBR global configuration to send From the Veeam user and to the Veeam Info distribution group. After the first hour nothing was working correctly but at some point over night it started working. All my alerts from this morning for VBR and VEB were sent From and To the correct email addresses that I entered into the global configuration. So at this point the issue is resolved. I wish I could explain what I did to get it to work, maybe AD / Exchange propagation needed to take place and I wasn’t waiting long enough, not too sure. Anyways its resolved and I appreciate your help!
Not exactly sure what resolved it but it is working correctly. Thanks!
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Jax,
Yes – I’ve checked with the team email address is cached when changed – and the only way to get this cache cleared or renewed on the VBR end is to restart the service (or simply reboot the machine). Once done – the new email address should be picked up properly for all jobs notifications.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

That would make sense, I had rebooted the VBR server for Windows Updates before I left for the evening. After that is when the jobs worked. Its strange how the VBR server knew to update the VBR jobs when it emailed but didn't know to update the VEB jobs with the new email. Anyways, scratch it up to a glitch with a fix!

Thanks for all the help!
VMCE v9
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome. We will investigate the root cause of this behavior and, if possible, fix it in the upcoming releases.