Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
edoyen
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Eric Doyen

New Veeam install for Surebackup will not launch

Post by edoyen »

We have 1 working Veeam Backup environment, and we built a second Veeam Backup VM with its own DB to use for surebackup for dev/test purposes.

Both environments:
*Use the same domain account as the service logon
*Point to a separate SQL server
*have their own separate DBs

The existing environment was built last year with v7, eventually upgraded to v8. The new environment was built using v8 directly.

The new build will only launch if I am logged into the VM as the service account. If I log in as myself, I get a SQL permissions error. The existing VM does not pass my windows authentication at all.

Terry from Support says that the only way for the new VM to launch the Veeam console while I am logged in using my credentials, is if my domain account has DB owner rights to the new DB. I have several issues with this assertion. First, I have no problems whatsoever logging in the same way with my previous Veeam server. Second, installing the Veeam software to run with a domain service account should have it authenticate to the DB using the service account.

Someone please help me with this. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. More details, screenshots, logs in the open ticket.

Open ticket: 00900965
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: New Veeam install for Surebackup will not launch

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Eric,
Just to clarify, was your personal account added to local administrators group at the VBR server in order to access the Management Console? By the way, all the required permissions are listed here Required Permissions
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: New Veeam install for Surebackup will not launch

Post by foggy »

Eric, are you getting error similar to this one, when launching the second Veeam B&R instance using your credentials?