Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Feature request VPN dial up

Post by frankive »

As long as not Cloud Connect is an option I would like the backup software to automatically dial up a predefined vpn-connection which makes it possible to upload to a B&R repository without hte users intervention as long as the client is connected through WI-Fi.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature request VPN dial up

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Frank,
I am not sure I got this – you want Endpoint to start a connection over VNP once the backup is initiated?
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

yup
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Frank,

Sounds like a good idea. But what do you prefer, that you can "script" it with some sort of pre-script or literally something in the UI where you can choose the VPN to be started

Let us know

Mike
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

First of all, if Cloud Connect is coming for VEB we don't need the VPN (but perhaps a good thing for Enterprises anyway which are not using Cloud Connect but their internal repositories..)

i think from a user perspective it would be cool if the user could pick the VPN-connections that is already avaiable in Windows.
I can see the security issue though with an automatic VPN-connection. If a laptop is stolen and the password is "saved", which I guess it has to be if it should work out of the box with vpn, there must be some clever implementatin from Veeams side.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Frank,

Thanks for the feedback! I understand your concerns, but for example, I have 5 different VPN's configured to different locations so I would need to "choose". And yes, I am sure we can think about some smart implementations :-)