Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rizks_2000
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony Rizk

Date Stamps On Replica Full & Rollback Points

Post by rizks_2000 »

Have a specific VM we have performed a full replica of. And then have performed 3 additional replica jobs (differential) on. So when I go to Replicas in Veeam, expand this VM in the Job Name tree, right click the VM, choose Failover to Particular Version, I see my Full Synthetic and then three restore points. Why does my Full Synthetic have the most recent date stamp? I would think it would be opposite, meaning my Full would have the oldest date stamp. I'm surely missing something. Can you explain?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Date Stamps On Replica Full & Rollback Points

Post by Gostev »

See here, towards the end of the article:
Veeam Synthetic Backup Explained

This way after each incremental pass you have most recent VMDK state of your replica ready-to-go (which is what you want in most cases when you need to perform failover). You can even power it on directly from vSphere Client and it will work (also this is not something we recommend doing, because this way you will not be able to undo failover and continue replication; or to undo failover and failover to different, earlier point in time in cases when latest state has corruption).
rizks_2000
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony Rizk

Post by rizks_2000 »

Yes, believe I experienced the power on issue from the vSphere client previously. If I power it on that way, I've pretty much ruined my Replica job because it will be in a inconsistent state. Best way to do this as I understand it is to go to my Replicas within Veeam and Failover to a Particular Version....and then I can undo failover and it will bring me back. Correct?

We are still experimenting with the product. Can you expand a bit or point me to a link on how other Veeam users are using Replica jobs vs. Backup Jobs? We've created full replicas of Production VM's and have them sitting on a DR site ESX host. Works well, we can restore individual guest files using Restore from Replica, and can Failover to Replica and of course undo previously performed failover. Guess our question is, should we be doing more Backup jobs than Replicas? Seems like it. By using Backups, we can Restore from Backup the Entire VM, Specific VM Files or individual guest files. Wondering if we shouldn't occasionally perform Replica's and focus more on Backup jobs instead of Replicas.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Correct.

Here's the link you have requested:
The real world use of Veeam Replication

Primary difference between backups and replicas is this:
• Backup take times less disk space than replica, but full VM recovery is not so fast
• Replica take times more disk space than backup, but provides much faster full VM recovery