kewnev
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Nev

WAN Acceleration. What should I expect?

Post by kewnev »

Hello All,

We're currently on Veeam Standard.

We're looking into Veeam Enterprise Plus just because of one feature: WAN Acceleration.

Since there is a significant cost for this edition, I'm looking to find out whether or not this is going to be suitable for us.

We have two branch offices. They are about to be connected over a 10 megabit symmetric WAN. Data travelling between them will be $0 charge.
We are currently using Veeam Standard at each site to backup data to a NAS, and then Backup Copy to removable disks to take offsite.
Once we get the 10mbit link I'd like to back up the data from site A to site B, and from site B to site A, at the same time if possible. I'm presuming the best way forward would be to continue backup on to local NAS, and then Backup Copy over the WAN (if that is the way it's done).

Here's our current stats when backing up to disk

Code: Select all

Read(GB)  Transferred (GB)  Dedupe  Compression
Site1-Full			1400	  1000		  		1.5		1.4
Site1-Incremental	48		  27				1		1.8

Site2-Full			2200	  1300				1.4		1.7
Site2-Incremental	66		  33				1		2

From that info is it possible to determine approx. how long a backup will take over a 10 Megabit link (which will be hardly used at night) with WAN acceleration enabled?

(We would also like to initially pre-stage data if possible, to save time on the initial replication).

Nev
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: WAN Acceleration. What should I expect?

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Nev,

With 10 Mbps link and 1TB backups, it definitely makes sense to use WAN accelerator, however, it`s pretty hard to predict what exact numbers. This article might provide more understanding.

In general your plan looks wise. I`d also suggest(remind) to store global cache data on SSD storage. In this case (the speed of global cache data processing operations will increase up to 50%, compared with hard disk-based storage), use global cache population.

By the way you can try out WAN acceleration for free applying a trial version, with all features enabled. Thanks!
kewnev
Enthusiast

Post by kewnev »

Thanks Shestakov,

Sounds like it would be handy for us. I suspect though that management wont approve the purchase (due to the significant cost) and ask me to continue using offsite backups .. even though they get lost, damaged, and sometimes fail to be rotated etc. But I will present it to them and see what happens..!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

You are right WAN accelerator not only speeds up the transmission decreasing the amount of data to be transferred over WAN, but also helps to deal with network interruptions.
By the way you can try it for free using trial version of the product and compare the results. Thanks!
kewnev
Enthusiast

Post by kewnev »

Thanks Shestakov,

Is it possible to enable this WAN trial within our existing B&R Standard deployment, or do we need to set this up on another server?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You install temporarily ENT+ license on given backup servers, and replace it with Standard one when the trial period is over. Thanks.