Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
solr_07666
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: sol rosenberg

Restoring VEB to new Volume from within Win2012

Post by solr_07666 »

I created a new raid volume on an existing Win2012 server, I started a Restore of a previous VEB to a newly created RAID5 virtual drive.

Afrer running Restoring the System Reserved Partition (for an MBR volume), it started to restore C:
and get the following error:
Channel error: ConnectionAborted

Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks,
Sol
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Restoring VEB to new Volume from within Win2012

Post by Mike Resseler »

Sol,

Not sure... Can you tell us a little bit more about what you just did? Are you trying to do a BMR onto a new server with our recovery media? Please explain the procedure so we can look further into this

Thanks

Mike
solr_07666
Novice

Post by solr_07666 »

The objective was to see of a Bare Metal restore would work to a new RAID 5 volume on the same machine.

The idea being if the C drive and BCD got messed up on the primary system RAID 5 virtual drive, creating another virtual drive with 3 more physical drives,
I should be able to restore the Veeam Backup.

The restore works, but the machine will not boot properly, not matter what I do.
After restoration, even with only one bootable RAID array, it always goes into Windows 2012 Repair mode, as the BCD is messed up.

I spent an entire day trying to understand what was going on, and both bootrec and bcdboot would not repair.

These are MBR volumes, and it appears that with multiple volumes present, VEB always want to restore to the original volume, even if I tell it to manually remap
to the new volume I created. I did this several times, and it always failed to make my new C drive, the boot volume, and instead booted from the original C drive volume.

I deleted all volumes from both raid arrays, and restored using VEB, and again it would always boot into repair.

I gave up, and restored using an image of System and C created with DiskImage from Lsoft, which works well on MBR, but not GPT.

After I did that, the system booted normally.

I created a new VEB. and will restore it to a new raid volume, after deleting the current one.

The objective again, is not to restore to the same RAID volume (that's easy), as that may not be possible in an equipment failure situation.
Will keep you posted.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Sol,

Yes, please keep us informed! Also, if it fails, collect the logs from within the recovery media and drop it somewhere on a dropbox, onedrive or something... DM me or Dima P. the link so our teams can investigate what exactly goes wrong. Maybe we can see in those logs why it is causing this behavior

Thanks

Mike
solr_07666
Novice

Post by solr_07666 »

I just went to restore the VEB I created from drive 0 to drive 1. (both RAID5 arrays)

After VEB finished, I did not reboot, but I went back in to do a Bare Metal restore again, so I could see what's going on with the partitions.

It found my latest VEB on external media that I just used, but when I click on View Automatically Detected Disk Mapping
It shows the Drive 0 partitons in light blue, as "Restored volume", which is misleading.
The volume I just restored shows in dark blue as "Exisiting volume"!

Next, I rebooted, and it booted properly into win2012, as before.

I then went into the RAID controller BIOS and set it to boot from Drive 1 to see if could boot from the restored drive.
Rebooted, and it could not find the OS,

Went back and changed the RAID controller BIOS to boot from Drive 0.
Booted OK.

Why would it not boot from Drive 1?

Update:
I just determined that the BCD written by Veeam at the end of the restore to Drive 1, is incorrect.
I was able to copy the working BCD from Drive 0 to the System Reserved partition on Drive 1.
After I did that, it booted properly from Drive 1 (after I changed the boot drive in the RAID controller BIOS to point to Drive 1)

If can do that manually, then VEB should be able to do that as well, when restoring the System Drive.
Note that all the above is for MBR volumes. I would assume it would hold true for UEFI and GPT volumes as well.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Sol,
It shows the Drive 0 partitons in light blue, as "Restored volume", which is misleading.
The volume I just restored shows in dark blue as "Exisiting volume"!
The existing functionality does not track restore actions you’ve previously performed, so the colored schema seems to be correct.
I then went into the RAID controller BIOS and set it to boot from Drive 1 to see if could boot from the restored drive.
Rebooted, and it could not find the OS,
Your backup repository should keep the restoration logs – is it possible somehow to share it with me (via dropbox or onedrive)? Thanks.