Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jmai
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: J.Mai

Manual remove old Backup

Post by jmai »

Hi there,

as far as i've readed here in the some old postings there is only one way to delete old backups which wont be deleted by the retention settings while the wont hit them atm.
In the past i tried this 2 times, but all the times when i removed one backup manualy from the destination my next scheduled backup fails while the job is missing old backups.
So what made i wrong, or is there another way to delete old backups when the destination runs out of space?

We are using Backup&Replication 7.0.0.871.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Manual remove old Backup

Post by foggy »

It actually depends on the backup mode (forward/reverse incremental), as with forward incremental you cannot just delete the latest full backup as subsequent increments depend on it. You can delete the entire chain (full + dependent increments) once the new chain reaches the specified number of restore points.

What backup method do you use and what particular files did you have in the repository prior to deletion (and what files you have actually deleted?)?
jmai
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: J.Mai

Post by jmai »

Hi foggy,

we use forward incremental. While we tried the manualy remove in the past, more then one month ago, i cant say if it was a incremental or a full backup.
If i understand the information from the help center right it would be better to change it to reverse incremental while we do the backup on a hdd. If we change this we wont get the problem with the removing of old backups like in the past?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Reverse incremental mode always maintains the specified number of restore points on disk, however requires more I/O on the target storage. You can switch and see whether you meet the required backup window.