Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Replica boots to Windows Recovery screen

Post by unsichtbarre »

I have an issue that is new to me and, apparently new to Veeam Support (Case # 00892166)

I have a replica that boots to the Windows Recovery console, and will only boot correctly after the VMware Paravirtualized SCSI drivers are manually injected into the OS?!

The disk seems to be created with an pvscsi adapter type at the source, yet be of an actual LSI logic adapter type

Here's what we know:
  • The source VM can reboot successfully
  • The source VM has had VMware Tools recently removed/re-installed and then the replica was re-seeded. The problem persists!
  • We have completely re-seeded the VM on several/many occasions with no success
Here are the specifics:
Veeam 8 Patch 1
Source VM: Windows 7 X64
pvscsi
replication: NBD
Source/destination ESXi: build 2638301

Any and all ideas appreciated!
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replica boots to Windows Recovery screen

Post by foggy »

John, we were not able to reproduce this behavior internally, so I recommend you to continue investigating with support.
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Post by unsichtbarre »

Foggy,

With the help of Tyler Payton (Veeam Support), we were able to eventually isolate this to a CBT issue. With CBT manually disabled on the job, the replica worked fine. After CBT was reset on the source VM, the replica with CBT enabled worked fine.

What is puzzling to us are:
  • Why did the local replications/backups (created as a test) boot without issue and those over the WAN did not (job configurations identical otherwise)?
  • How is it that injecting the VMware pvscsi into the non-bootable replica made it bootable? This seems counter-intuitive for CBT type issues?
THX
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thanks for reporting back, much appreciated. I suppose only further investigation can answer those questions.