Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Adam.Burgess
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Burgess

Extending retention

Post by Adam.Burgess »

I've spent some time this morning roaming the internet to find a solution for a particularly tricky situation and hoping that someone can offer a little guidance on the matter.

We have a number of virtual machines that are backed up with veeam. Yesterday, one of our users asked me to restore a number of these machines to a specific previous version. Without going into too much detail, due to circumstances beyond my control, I'm unlikely to be able to complete the request until Monday, at which point the specific version requested will have fallen off the retention cycle and be lost.

What I'm hoping it is possible to do is to somehow flag a particular backup set so that it is retained indefinitely until I can complete the required work, I can't seem to find a setting for this, hopefully someone else has had a similar situation and can point me in the right direction!

Cheers,

Adam.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Extending retention

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello Adam,
There is no such a flag. In general using backup chaining, you need to keep the whole chain to restore from one of its restore points.
I would suggest to extend the retention in the job settings to keep the files.
Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

You can also copy the chain to some other storage to keep it for the required period of time.
Adam.Burgess
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Burgess

Post by Adam.Burgess »

Thanks for the advice, I've pulled the backup content onto a removable media for now until we get approval to make the changes. Thanks for the input!

Adam.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Or you can leverage the GFS retention via backup copy job, is one of it best use cases ;)
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1