Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BisBestow
Lurker
Liked: never

Network bottleneck showing as >95% + Slow Processing

Post by BisBestow »

We have just purchases a Synology RS815RP+, fitted it with 4 x WD Red 6tb drives and configured it in RAID 5. It has 4 gigabit link aggregation connected to a gigabit switch. The backup server is also connected to the same switch with 2 port link aggregation. The server is running Windows Server 2012 R2 with 8gb RAM and a Quad Core. The backup server connects to our cluster with all the production servers on via a 10gb link on the switch. We also have a virtual proxy server installed on the cluster.

We are running a reverse-incremental backup job however it crawls along at 7mb/s with the bottleneck showing as 95% or higher, yet the throughput is minimal on the server and the NAS shows around 10% CPU utilisation. I can't find a reason as to why it's like this. Does anyone have any ideas?
First VM: 14/05/2015 12:19:00 :: Busy: Source 13% > Proxy 6% > Network 96% > Target 2%
Second VM: 14/05/2015 12:24:22 :: Busy: Source 6% > Proxy 5% > Network 95% > Target 0%

Edit: Forgot to say that the Repository is added as a Linux Server, rather than using SMB.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Network bottleneck showing as >95% + Slow Processing

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
What transport mode are you using?
It can be recognized by [nbd], [hotadd] or [Direct SAN] tag in the jobs` actions. Thanks.
BisBestow
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by BisBestow »

It shows as [hotadd] in the job
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I would look for data transfer issues between the virtual proxy and the Linux server.
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Post by emachabert »

Are you talking about 7MB/s or 7mb/s ?
Considering you are using reversed incremental, wich involves a random I/O pattern, with a 4 SATA spindles RAID5, you can't expect more than 7-10 MB/s for incremental runs.
How fast is an active full running ? An active full will be fully sequential and thus will show offbetter numbers.
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

I think Eric is spot-on, regardless having added the NAS as a linux machine or as an SMB share, I suspect the limit is the small raid (only 4 spindles) used with reversed incremental.
If the main reason to use reversed incremental is to save disk space by storing only one full backup, you should look at forever forward incremental mode: same space efficiency and a lower IO profile on the storage.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1