Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
gmele
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Mele Giuseppe

Endpoint Backup running on Hyper-V Virtual Machine

Post by gmele »

Hi,

I have installed Veeam Endpoint Backup on a Hyper-V host machine running Windows server 2012 R2. This backup is for DR to allow me to do a bare metal restore in case of a server crash. I also installed Veeam Endpoint Backup on a Virtual Machine running on the Hyper-V host which runs nightly incremental backups to an SMB share which is mapped to a USB drive connected to the Hyper-V host. As we needed an file-level incremental backup and restore capability within the VM , I successfully installed Veeam Endpoint Backup on the VM and it seems to work fine. I can restore files, volumes and I was also able to do a bare metal restore of the VM.

My question is the following: For VM backup, Veeam Endpoint seems to be working well. Why would I consider using Veeam Backup Free Edition over Veeam Endpoint Backup to backup files within my VM? My impression is that Veeam Endpoint Backup seems to have more functionality that Veeam Backup Free Edition with VeeamZIP (ie. scheduled backups).

Thank you.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Endpoint Backup running on Hyper-V Virtual Machine

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

Good and valid question. So here is my take...

Using VEBF is a standalone solution that you will need to install in every VM. They are disconnected from each other and what you are actually doing is simulating a physical backup.

Using Veeam Backup Free edition will give you the option to do true VM-level backups. No installation inside the VM, everything arranged from the host level. This is a completely different approach.

My advice here: take the time to browse to our resources on our site and get yourself familiar with the advantages, differences of backing up a VM on the host-level compared to doing it with VEBF and decide for yourself. Future wise, I would at least advise you to go this route. Use the correct tool for the job right ;-)

About the scheduling: Since update 2 (released a couple of weeks ago) there is PowerShell support with the free edition which makes scheduling perfectly possible

Cheers

Mike
gmele
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Mele Giuseppe

Post by gmele »

Hi Mike,

thanks for the reply. One last question: Is running VEBF supported within a VM? I checked the manuals but it's not clear whether running VEBF within a VM is supported. On this Hyper-V host machine I will be running only one VM and having spent a week to test VEBF on host for DR and VEBF running in the VM for file-level backups I would like to implement this configuration for my client who is not planning on growing this infrastructure much in the coming years.

Thanks,

Joe.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

It is supported as long as the OS that you are running in that VM is supported

Cheers

Mike