Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
tinto1970
Expert
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Alessandro T.

SQL express is required...

Post by tinto1970 »

Good day all,

i've got the email with the link for dowloading the product when at home, so i could not resist and installed it on my own desktop pc, which i use just for fun (facebook and youtube :D ).
It has 4 GB Ram.

I have been a bit surprised that sql express was installed, and using >300MB of memory even while backups were not running.
IMHO that's a bit heavy for small desktops, laptops and so on, sorry.

I've been using i.e. this one: http://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html, which is able to backup machine while normally running, but does not need a sql server permanently installed on it....
I understand VeeamEndpointBackup has much more functionalities but, at least in my own pc at home, i don't need them, and i prefer to "keep it light".
Alessandro aka Tinto | VMCE 2024 | Veeam Legend | VCP-DCV 2023 | VVSPHT2023 | vExpert 2024
blog.tinivelli.com
tinto1970
Expert
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Alessandro T.

Re: SQL express is required...

Post by tinto1970 »

tinto1970 wrote: I understand VeeamEndpointBackup has much more functionalities
and, last but not least, it's free but still supported, which is very important in business use
Alessandro aka Tinto | VMCE 2024 | Veeam Legend | VCP-DCV 2023 | VVSPHT2023 | vExpert 2024
blog.tinivelli.com
tomhkr
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Post by tomhkr »

Also noticed this.
It makes Veeam Endpoint Backup the single largest user of memory after startup.

Could the SQL server be stopped when backups are not scheduled?
Is it possible to configure the SQL server to use less memory, say ~100MB?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Alessandro,

SQL Server Express is not required, we are using LocalDB for storing all metadata -> Design related

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Alessandro,
4GB RAM laptop only for Youtube and Facebook and 300Mb is to much for an localdb usage? :)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

tinto1970 wrote:I have been a bit surprised that sql express was installed, and using >300MB of memory even while backups were not running.
IMHO that's a bit heavy for small desktops, laptops and so on, sorry.
So my latest Firefox has 9 super light-weight tabs (forum topics) open right now, consuming 411MB of physical memory. Why is this not considered a problem by anyone? Just because its internal database is running in-proc and you cannot see it?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

I'm actually quite surprised to see 300MB being used by the SQLserver localdb process though. My local install is only using 90Mb. Any chance this is being misinterpreted by task manager reporting shared memory instead of private memory? On my local system right now I have VEB installed, with Outlook running, one remote desktop connection, and Chrome with three tabs (Gmail, Google Maps, and this forum), and Chrome is by far the biggest memory user (with, as Anton says, it's in-proc internal database). The SQLserver process is 7th on the list at 90MB, but there are 5 Chrome processes each using between 100-160MB (private working set), and even my RDP session is using 144MB. Even with the two VEB processes + SQLserver they're only using 160MB on my system, which I'd say is pretty light overall.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Yes, mine in idle state is 22 MBs, during backup - 55MBs
tomhkr
Enthusiast

Post by tomhkr »

It's not relevant to compare to Firefox or Chrome memory usage.
They are both programs that are constantly used. Tabs and windows are opened and closed. Memory is reserved and released.

The Endpoint SQL process eats 300MB at idle. Doing nothing. It's not waiting for a request that cannot be foreseen, like instant messangers or Skype would do.
If you want to compare Firefox to Endpoint, my Firefox uses 200MB (private) while doing nothing. No open tabs, freshly opened.

Attaching my sqlservr.exe process info. It is at idle, consuming 300MB memory (private).
It's a Windows 7 laptop with 16GB memory and a 120GB solid state disk.

I'd be very happy if it would run with the numbers you are posting, 22, 55 or even 90MB.

tomhkr
Enthusiast

Post by tomhkr » 1 person likes this post

Funny, 2 hours after my previous post the process is now down to about 60MB private.
This is much better! :mrgreen:
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

tomhkr,
Any other applications that may utilize localdb on board?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Tomhkr,

I still think 60 MB is rather a lot. Personally I have been seeing an average of 35 MB, and I actually use the localDB for another solution also. Of course, during backup, the mem used is increasing but stil...

Can you check for other databases also? You might be surprised how many solutions use localDB. Our files are located under C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile

So please check and reply to Dima.
tomhkr
Enthusiast

Post by tomhkr »

Sorry nothing else uses localDb. Currently running at 110MB private, acceptable I think. Way better than initial 300MB..
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

tomhkr,

Thank you for the update. We’ve actually run several tests on different machines. The average load we noticed is between 100-200Mbs, and it depends on the operating system. For instance on my desktop machine Win 7 SQL in idle state ~ 150Mb, however on the Win 8.1 tablet it does not go higher than 55MB during backup (I think there is a chance it is related to the Connected Standby default power plan)
davegold
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dave Gold

Post by davegold »

Is there a way to tune the amount of RAM used?
Mine was at 180MB after doing a backup, and 31MB after cycling the Veeam Endpoint service

Dave
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Post by lowlander »

Hi,

mine is 80 MB RAM that is being used by SQL. When doing backups SQL is taking 90 MB and Veeam Endpoint Manager 110 MB.

Not that much in my opinion for a free product :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,

@lowlander, yep, it does seem to be acceptable for me as well, thanks for posting the results.

@Dave, I'm not sure there is a way to do that. What backup mode are you running?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Latest and greatest Firefox with 2 forum tabs open, doing absolutely nothing eats 300 MB of RAM. Freaking web browser, why so much? But hey, no one cares about its RAM consumption.

Veeam Endpoint Backup: almost twice as less RAM in the worst case scenario, while processing GBs of data on the fly. Discussions of RAM consumptions keep going all over the internet ;) people are cycling services, monitoring RAM consumption like their newborn child's heartbeat, comparing their observations in long threads.

I just find it amusing.