Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Massimiliano Rizzi

Yet another thread on setting up datamover on a Qnap NAS

Post by massimiliano.rizzi »

==================================================
Case 00887227

Hello guys,

I am trying to set up a new backup repository with a Qnap TS-653 Pro-8G NAS. This model has an Intel Celeron quad-core processor and 8GB RAM, so my goal is to run the datamover/Linux integration package on it in order for us to obtain the highest transferspeeds and offloading file merging to the NAS.

Everything seems fine, except the fact that the repository size and free space are not displaying correctly.
Since the BusyBox implementation of Linux on the QNAP does not support the -x command, first of all I modified the 'mount.pm' script that issues the "df" command with the -x option. I initially removed the "-x vmfs" argument from line 72, but the error was still popping up. After reviewing the WmiServer.BackupSrv log from C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup, I also removed the invalid "-- P" option from the same line and the error went away. Now repository size and free space are populated inside the Veeam B&R GUI, however the results returned (340,3 MB) do not reflect the actual repository capacity (7,2 TB):

By request of the engineer I also checked the full list of Perl modules that must be installed on the Linux server to make sure that everything is OK in the environment. All required Perl modules are installed except the 'threads' module.

I don’t want to bother the engineer with an issue that is clearly not related to Veeam but has more to do with a Linux-based storage device that is not running plain vanilla Linux operating system.

Instead my intent is to also reach out to the community and see if anyone has successfully set up a Qnap NAS running the datamover/Linux integration package on it.

Any suggestions and thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Massimiliano
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Yet another thread on setting up datamover on a Qnap NAS

Post by foggy »

Massimiliano, here's the thread discussing similar issues with another NAS make, could help.
The
Lurker
Liked: never

[MERGED] Re: Backup Copy Job - prevent execution

Post by The »

Sorry to bother you all but I am new here and currently working on this "QNAP, USB-RDX, Veeam" topic and cannot get it working.
Unfortunately I am not able to write PNs because I am too new to the Community so here comes my Question to Robert regarding his Post from Nov 19, 2015 there he stated that he used QNAP as linux host within Veeam ... I also tried this but only got timeouts while configuring the repository and after a lot of time got an error stating something like "no shell or no keyboard".

Can you Robert or somebody else help me figuring out how to use my QNAP TVS-671 with latest QTS 4.2.2 Build 20160901 and Veeam Backup & Replication 9 Update 2 work together ( not with Cifs/SMB but as Linux host or NFS ) for a primary repo on the QNAP RAID and a "Backup Copy" repo on the RDX connected with USB 3 to QNAP?

Thank you very much !!!

Thomas