Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BackupKing1
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: King King

exchange Itel Level recovery MS support

Post by BackupKing1 »

Veeam folks,

Does Microsoft support the item level recovery support for exchange , I remember I heard that MS doesn't support any product/ vendor that does the exchange restore Item Level recovery , as it could cause exchange DB corruption.
Thanks
King King
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: exchange Itel Level recovery MS support

Post by foggy »

Not sure I understand the reasoning behind this. Do you probably have any links to share?
BackupKing1
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: King King

Post by BackupKing1 »

I need to know if it is supported by MSFT exchange team, SO in case of issues do to the ITL ,and MSFT cant help , I will be prepared
Thanks
King
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

We have had utility for granular MS exchange item restoration for years now. And have not heard anything about it being unsupported by Microsoft neither from our users, nor from MS itself. So, it would be appreciated if you provide links where MS states that it doesn't support any product/ vendor that does the exchange restore Item Level recovery. Thanks.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Also because, thinking about the process, the restore itself ivolves only the Exchange EDB database. Once the database is "restored" from a backup (actually is simply mounted from the backup, not restored in original location) the tool browse the database to identify the single items you need to restore. The only way for microsoft to not support the Exchange Explorer would be to unsupport the entire database restore capability.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, I remember something like this from my previous life. There were no supported APIs for Exchange database interaction, and ISVs have to "hack" one. Incorrect usage of internal undocumented APIs could indeed corrupt the database, and Microsoft support did not want to deal with the consequences, thus the statement. In fact, I was working for a vendor doing those "unsupported" restores very successfully ;) and we struggled from this statement a lot. But, all of this was well over 10 years ago.

Since then, Microsoft has documented and published jet database access API to let ISV drill into the mailbox database legitimately, as well as introduced Exchange web services for safe mailbox population with the restored items that does not require low level jet database interactions. These are the APIs used Veeam Explorer for Exchange, so you are definitely safe with Veeam.

Note that this may not be the case with other vendors leveraging legacy solutions for granular Exchange recovery built many years ago, as likely those are based on old approaches. Keep in mind that unlike those solutions, Veeam Explorer for Exchange was built from ground up just 2 years ago. One of the reasons we do not support Exchange 2007 for example, is because it lacks some of those "legal" APIs I am talking about.