Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
readie
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Slow hotadd restore

Post by readie »

Hi, Just joined this long running topic on Very slow restores. I am attempting to restore a 3TB VM from a Backup Copy and it is running at about 8 or 9 MB/s. Just at 19% complete after 21 hours, so it looks as though it is going to take about 4 to 5 days to complete?
I don't have the fast fibre infrastructure of others in this post. Source is on a 1GB iSCSI on a virtual Windows 2012 R2, and destination on a 10GB iSCSI VMFS.
I don't see any of the helpful info I get while backing up, so can't tell whether it is source/network/target which is limiting . . . . I also have no info about whether it is direct SAN or what.
Do I just have to be very patient (and then rethink whether I need Replicas rather than Backups, if restore of a single server takes 5 days, I hate to think what would happen in a disaster situation).
thanks for any guidance,
Bob
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Incredible slow Direc SAN restore

Post by foggy »

readie wrote:I don't see any of the helpful info I get while backing up, so can't tell whether it is source/network/target which is limiting . . . . I also have no info about whether it is direct SAN or what.
Bob, you can check the transport mode being utilized during restore in the job session log: right-click the restore session, select the Log tab, and find the "Using target proxy..." record - the transport mode tag ([san], [hotadd], or [nbd]) after the name of the proxy should tell the mode used to populate VM data on the target datastore.
readie
Expert

Post by readie »

[hotadd]. Is that good or bad?
Bob
Bob Eadie
Veeam user since 2009.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Then I'm splitting your posts into a separate thread, since it is not related to direct SAN restore discussed originally.

You can try switching to network mode and see whether it is faster. Also, try to restore to some other LUN to check performance.
readie
Expert

Re: Slow hotadd restore

Post by readie »

OK I'll try both of those with a smaller VM - the 3TB one took almost exactly 5 days!
Bob Eadie
Veeam user since 2009.
readie
Expert

Post by readie »

Started having a look at this, and cannot find how to 'switch to network mode'. Is this a setting actually on the proxy, so do I have to set the proxy for all jobs to network, or can I somehow select network just for this restore job?
Bob Eadie
Veeam user since 2009.
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

It's a proxy setting.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin